`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
question for all

question for all
If a pitcher is traded and then a few days later he faces the team that just traded him, who if anyone has the advantage.  The pitcher or the hitters on the other team?

RE: question for all
MLB announcers always mention if a batter has never faced the opposing pitcher, and managers of today try to minimize the number of times a lineup faces his starting pitcher, so I would assume the pitcher has the early advantage.

Must be talking about tonight's Cardinals / Yankees matchup. Big Grin

Baseball is full of weird trades. I knew about the Christian Vazquez (catcher) trade last week when he was traded from Boston to Houston while he was taking BP for Boston getting ready to play Houston.  He actually didn't play that day for Houston but did the next two games against Boston going combined 0 for 5.  So advantage Boston, I guess.

I googled "mlb player traded to opposing team" to see what would come up.  A lot of wackiness. Players traded between games of a double header.  The Austin Jackson trade (2014) during the middle of an at-bat I've seen before. A lot of other similar stuff.  But the funniest stuff was the (2014) article "Athletes Who Were Traded for Absurd Things" that also came up.  Most of those I didn't already know.
Sets: 2008 Topps Moments & Milestones

(08-07-2022, 11:05 AM)shy1979 Wrote: But the funniest stuff was the (2014) article "Athletes Who Were Traded for Absurd Things" that also came up.  Most of those I didn't already know.

Wasn't a player traded for a bunch of bats once?  Not sure where I heard that... maybe was in a movie and I'm just remembering that.

(08-07-2022, 12:04 PM)mizzouman_2000@hotmai Wrote: Wasn't a player traded for a bunch of bats once?  Not sure where I heard that... maybe was in a movie and I'm just remembering that.

Minor league pitcher John Odom was traded for 10 bats... which were then auctioned off for charity.

Tim Fortugno, pitcher for the Brewers was traded for $25k and 12 dozen baseballs.

and don't forget, Lefty Grove, when he was a minor leaguer, he got traded... for a fence.
Sets: 2008 Topps Moments & Milestones

(08-09-2022, 05:02 PM)shy1979 Wrote: Minor league pitcher John Odom was traded for 10 bats... which were then auctioned off for charity.

Tim Fortugno, pitcher for the Brewers was traded for $25k and 12 dozen baseballs.

and don't forget, Lefty Grove, when he was a minor leaguer, he got traded... for a fence.
Odom ended up dying of a drug overdose unfortunately. Apparently one of his former managers believed that the media/fan response to the trade drove him back to the bottle and it spiraled out of control. Wouldn’t surprise me, some people tend to be complete blowhards behind a keyboard.