`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Tale of Jarred Kelenic

The Tale of Jarred Kelenic
After the Twins, there are several teams that I hope do well in their division, including the Mariners.  I have collected Griffey and Ichiro for years and came across an unusual name of Kelenic.

Something stood out about him and I started collecting his prospect cards when most were chasing 3 other names.  Shortly after, Kelenic's card prices were rising so I moved them to toploaders.  The next month 2 other prospects were on the hot market and JK's prices dropped back out of my $5 toploader rule.  Another month later he got his MLB spot and values rose, struggled at the plate and dropped again.

On Friday his values are up again.  I have to decide how many times I want to move from toploader to sleeve only to toploader...already did it 4 times.

RE: The Tale of Jarred Kelenic
Maybe you should have a Toploader Limbo where Cards in question would spend 3-4 months cooling off or heating up before you designate them to a higher lofty level in your collection or banished to Permanent Penny-sleeve Purgatory!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

My rule of thumb is once I put in a top loader..they stay..even if they fall below the top loader value.   My luck is that I will damage the card moving in and out of top loaders and the card value will explode and I have a damaged corner or something..Just my rule

What i did was put everything into toploaders then i move them into the proper boxes of value. Anything below $3.00 are in one box and anything over that are in others. If they go up and down then i just move them around without damaging the cards.

I have never...ever...damaged a card while inserting into or removing from a toploader. Just don't see that happening.

My post is about the frustration of fluctuating prices and time it takes to keep it organized a certain way.

The rise and fall of his pricing is based on hype and actual production. His cards were hot when he got the call, dropped when he didn't produce and sent back to the minors, and now are probably heating up again as there are collectors that feel he is undervalued or he may actually be the player they hope he can be. Some could be hype driven completed listings that might not actually be paid for to influence comps as well.

The same thing is going to happen or is happening with Bobby Witt, Jr. and will happen with Jasson Dominguez when and if he gets closer to the bigs.

A prospector cycle if you will..

I understand why prices fluctuate, and do expect it. I guess I need to change my $5 toploader rule to accommodate prospects or RCs that tend to fluctuate more often between $3 and $10.

Grip em, Rip em, pull my Phillies and then put the rest in a box in sleeves or binders if I'm set collecting. I then look at them in 2-3 years. Usually remember and am aware of any "big money" cards. Other than my Phillies PC, nothing is top loaded until sold/traded which I don't do much of. 2018 cards are next!
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.