`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Getting cards graded at ridiculous prices?

Getting cards graded at ridiculous prices?
Luckily I got my 100 cards graded and returned earlier this  year before the prices exploded at BGS.
 At $125 or $250 a card at Beckett has anyone else decided to pull the plug on submiissions?

Also, with all the hiring being done at Beckett does it feel like it won't be until possibly 2022 when prices level out?

Curious what the rest of y'all think?  Maybe if i'm reselling a card I believe is worth $1K's I'll submit one.

Would like to get another 50 to 100 graded, but hate to sell my truck to afford it.

RE: Getting cards graded at ridiculous prices?
Best advice I received from a hobby mentor was to wait it out, prices will normalize eventually. Not sure of an ETA but it'll happen.
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

(08-19-2021, 05:58 PM)y2hood Wrote: Best advice I received from a hobby mentor was to wait it out, prices will normalize eventually. Not sure of an ETA but it'll happen.
I totally agree with this.  I can't even wrap my head around anyone paying what they are asking for grading now.  It's totally absurd.   

Years ago I would do 100 card subs every few months, but not knowing when you were going to get your cards back is why I stopped.  Fast forward a few years and they still haven't fixed that problem.

I love my BGS graded PC and the BGS registry!  I would love to sub more cards, but not in these times.
[Image: ZZZBearsBanner1.jpg]
Lance Briggs and Brian Urlacher Supercollector

I feel the same way - $125/card?? I was about to submit my cards and was actually using an old submission form I never used and saw that my 23 card submission had a declared value of $560 and I want to increase the insurance on them. I picked another old submission and re-entered the 23 cards and came out with $800 grading fee. I then decided to start a fresh submission - that was a mistake - $3000 grading cost ??!!!

Yeah I'm going to wait it out as well - this is nuts - it costs more for the grading (at what a 11+ month wait time with the back log) then it would if you actually sold the cards.

Who the hell is actually submitting these days, at those rates??

I'm going to wait until 2022 to send in any cards. It'll take months to get the new graders they've supposedly hired to have the aptitude for grading cards.
If you've got the money to pay $125 a card you've got more money than sense to wait on some 9.5's or 10's.

In fact, I'll bet by 2023 they'll have more companies in the graded card market.

Ya the only reason you would pay $125 a card for grading is if you have a crazy expensive card that you know will be profitable to get it done fast.  But clearly there are a lot of people still submitting as the backlog still hasn't gone down...

greed has taken out the fun in collecting. doesnt surprise me how expensive it is and how the companies want a piece of the action. I can grade my own cards just fine and trade them or sell them. for free.
* Bert Blyleven for Hall Of Fame *

Anyone think the price will ever go back down to the $10 a card bulk submission days? I would like to get some of my stuff slabbed for protection purposes but when the slab I want (BGS) costs more than some of the cards it really kills the need for me
Looking To Buy BGS Graded 9.5/10 Chipper Jones...Contact Me If Selling

You'd think after all this time they'd have enough qualified graders to proceed with vastly reduced grading prices.

Will the prices come back down? At some point, yes. Will they be back to pre covid pricing? Absolutely not!!

Some hinted at understanding the process. You had a work stoppage. You had a worker(grader) shortage prior to covid. You had a ridiculous back log. You have new people(graders) that need to be trained and established to be on their own during a back log.

Do not assume everyone is submitting cards like the rest of us. You have people that have deep pockets that have nice cards. Someone submitting 100-500 cards at $125 a card is not unreasonable. People/businesses have that kind of money and need the cards graded at that level to make money before card(s) or player become less desirable. There are people that crack 5 to 10 cases of bowman and other high end product that yield many cards that have high dollar potential. There are people out there that still have stacks of Mike Trout rookie cards that are raw.

Are Beckett, PSA, SGC and others taking advantage of the pandemic? Perhaps to a degree. But those that NEED their cards graded during a backlog/grader shortage can still get that done while they are playing catch up.

Have all the companies put the people building graded sets and player collections together out of a chance for low dollar cards to be graded? Absolutely!

As someone who took a break from grading and Beckett for years, it is making me really not want to do it anymore. I question priorities with Beckett as I have for years. They need to get the back log down and then provide the service that they once had. Grading, Registry and reasons to have the registry. Things do not get updated as frequently as they say. To not want to put the effort in to try to accept cards graded years ago that got lost in the change over. People out there have lots of cards that will not be accepted into the registry because info/data was lost when they changed systems. I have a coupe dozen cards from one set that can no longer be in my registry because they lost the serial numbers and info. They have stated in the past that they will never accept them again even if we show proof of scans and info for them. I still have receipts from 15-20 years ago of the cards being graded with the info. Not a good practice to not want to put the effort in to making things right on a screw up on their part.

Fix the issues with the prizes. You have had "coming soon" for registry prizes for over 10 years. Maybe a little less after there was nothing for a couple years. There were once decent prizes. Nothing great, but it gave people a chance to work for something and spend money with you. Why not reward?

all this along with the ever evolving world of collectables. Adding comics, coins and non sport demand over the last 15 years has really taken the focus off the grading sports cards for them.

Keep in mind, they are a business to make money. Sometimes money makes more sense than customer service and customer satisfaction. Yes many people have left, but there are too many others that are there to take the place of those that left.