`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Note about trades for Kobe and other HOT cards

Note about trades for Kobe and other HOT cards
Is it just me or do others get annoyed when someone sends a trade offer for a bunch of hot cards that Beckett hasn't updated in value yet, and expect to get them for book value in trade.  
There are several cards that book for $5-$10 but are selling for $25-$100 and Beckett simply hasn't gotten around to updating them yet for one reason or another.  This is especially true for some 90s and early 2000s cards of Kobe.  However I have also seen this for other hot players and it's one reason I stopped putting a lot of rookie cards in my ORG.
I guess it really just annoys me when someone goes through my ORG picking out all of the underpriced cards and then sends me a trade offer expecting to get hundreds of dollars in cards for $50 book value.  I am not talking about the people that understand the increased value and want to trade in your favor to offset the book value error, but rather those that are purposely trying to get the cards for way under their real market value.  Am I the only one annoyed by this?
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

RE: Note about trades for Kobe and other HOT cards
I don't do basketball but this applies to all sports cards. I am not checking eBay sales when I do trades as so many cards for sale are graded versions. How can you compare?

Also, I avoid high end trades in general because so many say that Beckett is behind on proper values. How do you know for sure when there may be other factors behind prices? (supply & demand, related sellers & buyers, auctions, etc).

RE: Note about trades for Kobe and other HOT cards
(05-19-2021, 01:28 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: I don't do basketball but this applies to all sports cards.  I am not checking eBay sales when I do trades as so many cards for sale are graded versions.  How can you compare?

Also, I avoid high end trades in general because so many say that Beckett is behind on proper values.  How do you know for sure when there may be other factors behind prices?  (supply & demand, related sellers & buyers, auctions, etc).
I don't check eBay sales for all cards, but I am talking about HOT cards that Beckett simply hasn't updated pricing on yet.  I am talking about cards that book for $5, but if you check recent sales of the same ungraded card in eBay it might be $50, and graded ones might be several hundred or more.  Also, for these same "$5" cards someone is then wanting to only give up $5 book value in cards they have.
This used to only be the case with prospects and hot rookies, but in basketball it is happening with a lot more especially Kobe cards right now.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/