`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ebay scam? (1990 donruss error cards)

ebay scam? (1990 donruss error cards)
On Ebay, there are a lot of 1990 and 1991 donruss cards (especially Ken Griffey jr.) advertising a "very rare error," which is a missing dot on the back of the card.  When I looked at my 1990 donruss collection, I have 30+ cards with that error.  Is this just an ebay scam trying to trick a buyer into massively overpaying?

RE: ebay scam? (1990 donruss error cards)
jhallam719@gmail.com Wrote:On Ebay, there are a lot of 1990 and 1991 donruss cards (especially Ken Griffey jr.) advertising a "very rare error," which is a missing dot on the back of the card.  When I looked at my 1990 donruss collection, I have 30+ cards with that error.  Is this just an ebay scam trying to trick a buyer into massively overpaying?

Well, the fact that you have 30+ of them certainly means they are not "very rare."

I figure it's a seller who doesn't know what they're talking about, a seller who heard somewhere else that it is rare so is running with that, or hoping for a buyer that doesn't know any better.

Is it a dot or an asterisk? *

I know that one asterisk means the card came from a factory set and two asterisks means it came from a retail pack (or vice versa).
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(03-23-2021, 10:53 AM)zeprock Wrote: Is it a dot or an asterisk? *

I know that one asterisk means the card came from a factory set and two asterisks means it came from a retail pack (or vice versa).
If it's the period after the Inc. on the copyright line, I believe it was to differentiate between which printer the cards were produced at.  Most, if not all, Donruss and Leaf cards from the late '80 through early '90s have this variation.
I'm always open to trading.  My wants are varied (multiple sets from 1980 to now and some misc. players) and all my wants are marked.  Open offers welcome!

Trade Scans