`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8 Years Later...where did they go?

8 Years Later...where did they go?
I looked back at my first 100 trades beginning in 2013.  Only 12 of those traders are still active on this site.  4 or 5 others exist as members but remain quiet on the Boards.

Recently, two more long-term members quit.  We need to reach the next line of members before this dies.  I am not paying for the service, but rather for the opportunity to trade and keep current on card values.  I hope many of you can continue to do the same.

RE: 8 Years Later...where did they go?
I have been a member for a long time and while the last couple of years I have not been as vocal on the forums, it is mostly because I have been busy in other areas. As for trading, I try to do some from time to time on here, but I am not sure I will continue my membership after it expires in June. The main reason is because I pay for a Beckett Preferred membership and they got my magazine subscription and annual books wrong and after numerous emails and phone calls saying they would fix it nothing ever happened. They claim when they talk with me that I am a valued member since I have had membership for over 20 years, but they don't really offer any special discount or service for being so valued in fact they messed up the service they did offer. So unless they are going to make it right with a major discount on renewal this will be the last few months for me.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I have had plenty of disappointments and complaints over the years, but I'm not on Facebook, not on Twitter, not on any other social media...so this gives me a chance to see what others are thinking/doing in the hobby.

Plus, no kids running around, no close relatives, and no 2nd job, so I have plenty of time.

I got an offer to renew my one-sport subscription last week and the cost for one year is more than double what it was just a couple of years ago. They offered me a "special deal" if I buy more than one year because I've been a "loyal" member for 9+ years. The "special offer" is still $30+ more than the regular price a couple of years ago. I also find it interesting that they are reaching out to me now when my subscription doesn't expire until the end of July. I wrote them back and told them I've been a loyal customer for 19 years and I think they can make me a better offer. I haven't heard back from them again yet.

Also I called out a couple of the Beckett writers in the comments of one of their articles since one of them is mirroring my Collection thread. They both responded that neither one of them has ever been to the Beckett forums. Apparently the forums are just for us members and the mods. No wonder the bevy of complaints go unaccounted for.

I like having the Organize to keep track of my collection and I like the OPG and I like the forums although I wish they were more populated like they used to be so I will renew eventually but it would be nice if the people who make the Beckett decisions were a little more in tune with their customers.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

They snuck in a mobile device charge the last time my auto renew was used. I never use, nor never will use the Mobile App especially since it’s a $30 add on ... for what? If I need to use my phone, I can go to my paid subscription on the internet... don’t need it, don’t want it. Make sure, prior to renewing that you take off the auto renew function and buy what you want. Also, this year I missed it, but they usually offered a substantial Black Friday deal the past few years. That’s probably better than any ‘loyalty’ discount they will offer us.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

djohn Wrote:I have been a member for a long time and while the last couple of years I have not been as vocal on the forums, it is mostly because I have been busy in other areas.  As for trading, I try to do some from time to time on here, but I am not sure I will continue my membership after it expires in June.  The main reason is because I pay for a Beckett Preferred membership and they got my magazine subscription and annual books wrong and after numerous emails and phone calls saying they would fix it nothing ever happened.  They claim when they talk with me that I am a valued member since I have had membership for over 20 years, but they don't really offer any special discount or service for being so valued in fact they messed up the service they did offer.  So unless they are going to make it right with a major discount on renewal this will be the last few months for me.
That's not good. Your issue has been sent up the chain at beckett.
Beckett.Moderator.Floydtown@gmail.com
TOS

[Image: florida-gators.gif]
U.S. Army-Retired
Member since 10-04-1997 (#113)

(03-23-2021, 07:14 AM)zeprock Wrote: I got an offer to renew my one-sport subscription last week and the cost for one year is more than double what it was just a couple of years ago. They offered me a "special deal" if I buy more than one year because I've been a "loyal" member for 9+ years. The "special offer" is still $30+ more than the regular price a couple of years ago. I also find it interesting that they are reaching out to me now when my subscription doesn't expire until the end of July. I wrote them back and told them I've been a loyal customer for 19 years and I think they can make me a better offer. I haven't heard back from them again yet.
Those "special offer" promotions for long time subscribers are nothing more than the same offer you can get online at any time.  It annoys me when they say they are special for me.  I called them out on it a few times and it is pointless as they insist it is a great deal.  Dealing with Beckett's sales team is like going to a used car lot in India.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.

(03-23-2021, 08:31 AM)floydtown Wrote: That's not good. Your issue has been sent up the chain at beckett.
Thanks, but I have heard that so many times that I stopped reaching out.

In July 2020 I renewed my subscription for 18 months with the 12 month price. Then I got several phone calls from Beckett in January with "important information about my account" that I let go to voicemail. What could it possibly be except to sign up for another year in advance?!

I told the sales rep assigned to me to stop calling. I will let him know when I need something. He said they never go on the website and have no process for reporting issues on the site.

So, other than Moderators, we cannot report problems to anybody in charge. That's the biggest disappointment. How do they expect to survive this way?

I've been a long term member (over 20 years I think) and I know I'll never get any more deals because I rocked the boat back in the early 2000's. I'm finished waiting 14 months for getting an error corrected on a label on a card I had graded. I already know why I'm in the doghouse as I complained (loudly) and my feeling is since the big bosses think they're God's gift to the card hobby and they won't worry about low lifes like me.

Brian
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]