Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1981 Fleer Baseball Cards

1981 Fleer Baseball Cards
Hi all,

I have inherited (my brother passed away) a full case of 1981 Fleer baseball cards.  They are still in the original unopened gum packs, inside the display boxes, inside the old original cardboard shipping case.  The shipping case has been opened (and is old/damaged) but nothing removed.  Is this worth anything on the market as-is?  Should I open the packs, sort the cards, and try to sell the cards individually or in numbered sets?  I don't know what to do with them.

Thanks,
Roxanne

RE: 1981 Fleer Baseball Cards
Hi,
1st, my condolences on your brothers passing. There was an ebay sale 2/6/21 for an unopened vending case - asking price was $2,000 sold for $1,600. Take a look on ebay - 1981 Fleer Baseball, choose completed sold and then choose highest price. Not sure what your case looks like but this looked to be in great shape. Collated sets are only worth $20-35 (ungraded) at most so.... may be best to sell unopened undamaged boxes in the case.....but what do I know. Good luck!
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

BaseballCardPricing Wrote:Hi all,

I have inherited (my brother passed away) a full case of 1981 Fleer baseball cards.  They are still in the original unopened gum packs, inside the display boxes, inside the old original cardboard shipping case.  The shipping case has been opened (and is old/damaged) but nothing removed.  Is this worth anything on the market as-is?  Should I open the packs, sort the cards, and try to sell the cards individually or in numbered sets?  I don't know what to do with them.

Thanks,
Roxanne
Sorry to hear of your brothers passing. In my opinion, the cards are worth far more as unopened boxes than if you open them and make sets or sell singles. Look at ebay completed sales of unopened boxes, then do the same for sets. Also note you can not make a set from 1 box, so if you have a 20 box case you will only get 15-18 sets.
50,000+ Red Sox cards and counting.

My condolences, Roxanne!
Why would you (or anyone) want to open up all those packs, deal with all those ‘old gum’ issues and spend the time going through useless valueless cards (most of the Rookie cards there are a dime apiece) to maybe find one or two decent cards (Fernando Valenzuela) ? And IF you do, they might be in crappy gum stained shape. Kick that can down the line and sell off the case. Your dearly departed brother never opened the case, and probably for a good reason, so obviously he must have had a plan to sell off the case himself. Fulfill his probable desire and turn that case into cash and raise a toast of thanks to your Bro after it sells.
Cash is a better legacy than a few thousand worthless cards.
If you are into collectible cards, or just want something easy to liquidate for a profit in the future, you could buy a Trout Rookie Card (2011 US175) for about the same selling value of that case. That Trout RC has been out-performing every card in the history of baseball cards. A much better choice, IMO.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.