`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Barry Bonds last year on HOF ballot

RE: Barry Bonds last year on HOF ballot
DrMitchJ Wrote:I think David Ortiz gets through 1st time up at a pretty higher than expected percentage. He’s pretty much universally loved by both the press and the public, while feared and respected by his opponents on the field. He’s charismatic as well as extremely talented, on & off the field. (I loved his WS/Playoff pre-game commentary)  If this was 1981, I’d say a DH player had little to no chance at an HOF plaque, but 4 decades later, the role of a DH has proven its’ importance and we already had Edgar Martinez break the barrier.
Prediction: David Ortiz, HOF first time ballot at 85-90% vote.
Ortiz definitely should be a 1st ballot HOFer.  I'm just not sure how voters are going to treat his failed drug test from the list of names that was leaked.

Voters might not give him the 1st ballot prestige, and punish him for this fact. 

Piazza wasn't a 1st ballot HOFer, and he never failed a test.  One writer said he didn't vote for Piazza because he heard he had back acne.  Pathetic!
All-time favorite insert card designs:

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  4. 1993 Ultra Award Winners
  5. 2001 Bowman Heritage Chrome
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

jack pfiester Wrote:Ortiz definitely should be a 1st ballot HOFer.  I'm just not sure how voters are going to treat his failed drug test from the list of names that was leaked.

Voters might not give him the 1st ballot prestige, and punish him for this fact. 

Piazza wasn't a 1st ballot HOFer, and he never failed a test.  One writer said he didn't vote for Piazza because he heard he had back acne.  Pathetic!
First, I really hope that writer is no longer a voter.  That's a ridiculous reason to not vote for somebody.

Second, has it ever been revealed exactly what drugs players from that list tested positive for other than "performance enhancing drugs?"  From my understanding, there was stuff even at GNC that could cause someone to pop hot.  I think people are too quick to assume that players used something like anabolic steroids or HGH, or things on that level anyway.

Third, yes I am a big David Ortiz fan so take what I say next with a grain of salt if you'd like, but this test that Ortiz apparently tested positive for was in 2003 correct?  I think that was his first year in MLB where he really started to become the player he is now known for.  After 2003, he never popped hot again, the years where he accumulated his HOF worthy stats.  Regardless, voters should vote based on what they know, not assumptions or guesses.  This applies to all players.

EDIT: I also think it's ridiculous to ban a legal substance that anybody can get at a vitamin shop.  If it's cool for players to get eye surgery or Tommy John surgery to enhance their performance, anything legal should be OK to use in my opinion.

jack pfiester Wrote:Voters might not give him the 1st ballot prestige, and punish him for this fact. 
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I'm not sure what is going to happen but either scenario could happen...him getting in with 85% or him missing with 68% and it wouldn't surprise me.

pootshwan Wrote:It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I'm not sure what is going to happen but either scenario could happen...him getting in with 85% or him missing with 68% and it wouldn't surprise me.
I feel the same way about A-rod.  He could get elected 1st ballot with 75% exactly, or debut at 20%.

HOF voters are schizophrenic!

Also, I'm really curious to see what kind of support Joe Nathan and Jonathan Papelbon get, now that closers are getting more recognition.

Mark Teixeira is a really interesting candidate too!
All-time favorite insert card designs:

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  4. 1993 Ultra Award Winners
  5. 2001 Bowman Heritage Chrome
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

jack pfiester Wrote:I feel the same way about A-rod.  He could get elected 1st ballot with 75% exactly, or debut at 20%.

HOF voters are schizophrenic!

Also, I'm really curious to see what kind of support Joe Nathan and Jonathan Papelbon get, now that closers are getting more recognition.

Mark Teixeira is a really interesting candidate too!
A-rod has been trying hard to clear his name and get in good with everyone it seems

(02-19-2021, 07:22 PM)pootshwan Wrote: Bonds possibly never getting into HOF doesn't seem to be keeping bidders away. 

1986 Topps Traded Tiffany PSA 10

For what it's worth this card has a population of 441, a bit more than I was expecting considering the price it commands.

Has your stance on letting PED users into the hall softened at all over the years? Interested in hearing what Beckett forum has to say
they need to change the voters get with times these guys were great did alot for the people who love the game iam not sure about a corked bats. bonds ortiz should be in it wont hurt  mlb they dont get it only helps political bull