`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many players

How many players
How many major league players are in the major leagues but have zero rookie cards?  I think I found one: Greg Garcia  formally of the Cardinals  now of the Padres.  Unless i'm missing something, he has no rookie cards.  Is there anybody else?

RE: How many players
There were 7 who played for the Brewers this year alone with only minor league or Bowman prospect cards:
J.P Feyereisen
Eric Yardley
Mark Mathias
Angel Perdomo
Drew Rasmussen
Justin Topa
Phil Bickford
Collecting Robin Yount, Brewers Topps parallels, Brewers autos and Jonathan Lucroy in a Brewers uni.

Lucroy Brewers Collection : 589/596 non 1/1's (98.8%) and 65 1/1's

I bet there's a ton more ... I know guys like Jo Adell and Casey Mize made their debuts this year but are being held for 2021 Topps Series 1.

Greg Garcia has been in the major leagues for about six years and has zero rookie cards.

I would have to assume his first Topps card (2018) would be his rookie card, regardless of whether or not it has the RC logo or is listed as a RC in the Beckett database. While working on my Brewers RC project, I have found many players whose first major issue cards have not been given either designation.
Collecting Robin Yount, Brewers Topps parallels, Brewers autos and Jonathan Lucroy in a Brewers uni.

aprirr Wrote:There were 7 who played for the Brewers this year alone with only minor league or Bowman prospect cards:
J.P Feyereisen
Eric Yardley
Mark Mathias
Angel Perdomo
Drew Rasmussen
Justin Topa
Phil Bickford
They will probably have rookie cards in 2021 Topps series 1

aprirr Wrote:I would have to assume his first Topps card (2018) would be his rookie card, regardless of whether or not it has the RC logo or is listed as a RC in the Beckett database. While working on my Brewers RC project, I have found many players whose first major issue cards have not been given either designation.
Maybe, but Topps has the habit of putting the rc logo on cards that aren't considered rookie cards.

cspen Wrote:Maybe, but Topps has the habit of putting the rc logo on cards that aren't considered rookie cards.
Only for the star players, usually. They are just as guilty of not putting it on the cards that they should. For example, from 2012 to 2019, I have found 15 first issue Topps cards that don't have the logo. And that is just for former Brewers.

Carlos Corporan in 2012
Marco Estrada in 2012
Tim Dillard 2012
Logan Schafer in 2013
Jake Elmore in 2013
Sean Halton in 2014
Caleb Gindl in 2014
Stephen Vogt in 2014
Sam Freeman in 2015
Michael Blazek in 2015
JJ Hoover in 2016
Shane Peterson in 2016
Dan Jennings in 2016
Neil Ramirez in 2017
Omar Narvaez in 2019

Some of these are listed as RCs in the Beckett database and some are not.
And as to whether the 7 from 2020 get RCs in 2021, I would be quite shocked if a single one of them did. With all the different sets that were released in 2020, the 2020 NL Rookie of the Year has exactly one RC: 2020 Topps Update.