`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
does anyone actually trade junk wax (besides me)?

does anyone actually trade junk wax (besides me)?
Believe it or not I still have an affinity for the stuff and I like to complete those sets. Is anyone out there trading this CertifiedCrap™? 

Alternatively, what does one do with their unwanted inventory? I'd like to find good homes for stuff rather than burn/recycle these cards.

RE: does anyone actually trade junk wax (besides me)?
estemme Wrote:Believe it or not I still have an affinity for the stuff and I like to complete those sets. Is anyone out there trading this CertifiedCrap™? 

Alternatively, what does one do with their unwanted inventory? I'd like to find good homes for stuff rather than burn/recycle these cards.
I enjoy collecting cards from the 1980s-1990s. It's what I grew up on (I was born in 1975, so 1990 was the middle of my teenage years). I try to get one of each card from every hall of famer or star player from that time frame, even inserts. 

As for the second part of that question, not sure. I know a lot of people throw out base cards (even base from today's stuff because nobody collects/wants base). It seems no one builds sets anymore outside of Topps flagship. Even extras of that are worthless to a lot of people. I've seen people trying to sell flat rates of base cards (everyone from Acuna/Trout all the way to the most common of commons) for next to nothing, maybe $10 plus shipping. And no one will take them because no one really collects/wants base. 

Some people will say donate them to Goodwill or a childeren's hospital. Problem is children's hospitals won't take them hardly anymore because of Covid. And I'm not donating anything to Goodwill. They're going to sell it for 5x what it's worth and pocket the money and pay their employees minimum wage. 

Anyway, hopefully this helps.

crazyforkinsler5 Wrote:I enjoy collecting cards from the 1980s-1990s. It's what I grew up on (I was born in 1975, so 1990 was the middle of my teenage years). I try to get one of each card from every hall of famer or star player from that time frame, even inserts. 

As for the second part of that question, not sure. I know a lot of people throw out base cards (even base from today's stuff because nobody collects/wants base). It seems no one builds sets anymore outside of Topps flagship. Even extras of that are worthless to a lot of people. I've seen people trying to sell flat rates of base cards (everyone from Acuna/Trout all the way to the most common of commons) for next to nothing, maybe $10 plus shipping. And no one will take them because no one really collects/wants base. 

Some people will say donate them to Goodwill or a childeren's hospital. Problem is children's hospitals won't take them hardly anymore because of Covid. And I'm not donating anything to Goodwill. They're going to sell it for 5x what it's worth and pocket the money and pay their employees minimum wage. 

I sent you a PM regarding a trade for your Joe Burrow Donruss card, thanks!

I don't trade it.  In past years, right before Christmas I would take all of mine to the Local Shriners Hospital and donate them.

I do not usually have anything pre 2010 tagged for trade that is under .50 BV (the market for those cards just dont seem to be there). However I do keep every baseball card that comes across my desk. It might just be junk to some but I dont mind keeping the older stuff. In fact I have four kids and any dups to quadtrups (really a word? lol) go into their collections that I have been building since they were babies. I usually try to grab lots that come up in my local area so I can continue to build mine and my kids collections.
[Image: H8Ura.png]
SIGNATURE IMAGE CREATED BY
jbel4331 [ http://www.beckett.com/forums/user-153852.html ]

crazyforkinsler5 Wrote:I enjoy collecting cards from the 1980s-1990s. It's what I grew up on (I was born in 1975, so 1990 was the middle of my teenage years). I try to get one of each card from every hall of famer or star player from that time frame, even inserts. 

This does help -- thanks! I'm in total agreement in re goodwill and their ilk, so I won't touch them with a 100' pole. I did look into things like cards4kids pre Covid, but they were so inundated with stuff that they weren't accepting donations. I have been working on getting my kids interested in the hobby, and the old junk wax helps, but there's still just so much! Boxing up lots and just sending out lots in return for shipping costs is definitely something I would do though.

I have everything tradeable in my org. So much of it is mid 80s to about 1993 though and I doubt it will ever get any use!

ohioarmy05 Wrote:...I do keep every baseball card that comes across my desk. It might just be junk to some but I dont mind keeping the older stuff...
I keep all of my cards too and have all of my dupes listed for trade here on Beckett, even the junk wax stuff. I do trade them here. It's not often but every once in a while someone will take a hundred or so off my hands. Unfortunately I don't need a lot of stuff from the junk wax era other than oddballs and inserts.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

estemme Wrote:Believe it or not I still have an affinity for the stuff and I like to complete those sets. Is anyone out there trading this CertifiedCrap™? 

Yes, I am a set builder working on a lot of "junk wax" sets.. always looking to trade/buy what I need.
Set builder
Collecting Rafael Devers, Juan Soto, Red Sox, Nationals, and HOFers for my PC

I'll take any and all football including commons. Will pay for postage flat rate, as long as its not ONLY commons, then its not worth the $20 postage. Will also send some baseball back. Skyrocketing postage is also making it tougher to move large amounts of cards.

Garage sales and Craigslist are options too.
**Looking for certified autos of these 86 Mets: Ojeda, Aguilera, Elster, K. Mitchell, Heep, Sisk, Leach, Niemann, Hearn, Myers, Sid Fernandez and Davey Johnson MGR **  https://www.flickr.com/photos/164322911@N05/albums