`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here's a New One For You - 2020 Donruss Football

Here's a New One For You - 2020 Donruss Football
So yesterday morning before work I hit up the local Target ... nothing but soccer boxes (see baseball thread for my soccer break, LOL).

After that I stopped at a Walgreen's to see if they had any of their famous $5 football mixers.

I was shocked and delighted to see that in addition to the mixers, they had two fat packs of 2020 Donruss Football on the shelf, so I grabbed them both and headed up to checkout.

The lady scanned my soda, candy and then tried to scan the cards ... nothing came up on the screen.

She called the manager over, he tried it ... nothing.

And then ...

"I'm sorry, sir, I can't sell these to you," he says.

"What???," I say, I can't believe it.

"They aren't showing up in the system because they don't have a code yet," he says.

"Why were they on the shelf then?" I reply.

"They weren't supposed to be put out yet," he says.

"OK, well, they were put on the shelf and I'd like to buy them. Every single Walmart and Target in the country is sold out of this stuff right now so I was pretty excited to find these," I say.

"I'm sorry, sir. I can take your name and number and hold them for you, and when they're in our system you can come back in and pick them up," he says.

"OK, how about this," I say, "I'll go grab a couple of the $5.49 mixers, you can scan those in and I'll just take these instead." 

"I'm sorry, sir, we can't do that ... we need to make sure our inventory is accurate."

Two things ... you can't make this stuff up, and I'm not holding my breath that they will call me.

The capper was that the original checkout lady said, "OK, that will be $4.88 for the soda and candy."

"You know, I'll just get those next time I'm in to pick up the cards," I replied.

RE: Here's a New One For You - 2020 Donruss Football
RJ

I think you need to quit going to stores. You went from retail king to crazy bad luck king.

akaus Wrote:RJ

I think you need to quit going to stores. You went from retail king to crazy bad luck king.
LOL, this one was an all-timer here.

I called back today to see if I could pick them up and got a different manager, went through the whole thing with her, and she's like, "we got a lot of new stuff that is not in the system yet."

So my obvious follow-up was, "OK, great, maybe don't put it out on the shelves until it's in your system then?"

She was like, "Yeah ..." and then her voice just kind of trailed off.

We'll see, like I said, I'm not holding my breath.

I have had something similar happen to me.

I am also a book collector. I buy quite a bit of books at Sam's. Keep those pristine and "unread" and read the library copy. Anyways, I think 3 times I have tried buying a book that was on the rack, but because it wasn't in the system yet, I couldn't buy it.
I collect Andre Johnson, JJ Watt, Redskins who played in the 70’s & 80’s, HOF’ers and Texas A&M Aggies.
Email: rbredskin@windstream.net
No trading outside the U.S.

dogger99 Wrote:I have had something similar happen to me.

I am also a book collector.  I buy quite a bit of books at Sam's.  Keep those pristine and "unread" and read the library copy.  Anyways, I think 3 times I have tried buying a book that was on the rack, but because it wasn't in the system yet, I couldn't buy it.
That's bizarre. I've never worked on the stocking side of retail, but I assume there is some kind of "check in" system?

I mean, do they just open the boxes that come in off the truck and put the stuff on the shelves before scanning it in or something?

I'm honestly curious, because apparently it's a thing.

Update - Dropped in this morning before work and the lady figured out a way to ring them up for me.

Best cards were:

- Jerry Jeudy Elite Series Rookie
- JK Dobbins Rated Rookie
- Justin Jefferson Rated Rookie blue parallel
- Adam Thielen blue photo variation
- Christian McCaffrey blue photo variation

Not bad for $10.

No Brady, no Burrow ... the search continues.

You didn't even find a Jonathan Taylor for me?!

Glad you got the cards.
With 20+ years collecting, this is the most comprehensive single player collection in the world! Beckett lists 4000+ cards - I'm at 95% completion!
[Image: jaderock-1-1-1.jpg]]

savagenate Wrote:You didn't even find a Jonathan Taylor for me?!
I got his Rated Rookie in my original 37 pack bust, but with the way retail is these days, I highly doubt I'll have many more opportunities to pull the pro uni stuff so I need to hang onto it.

rjcj2017 Wrote:I got his Rated Rookie in my original 37 pack bust, but with the way retail is these days, I highly doubt I'll have many more opportunities to pull the pro uni stuff so I need to hang onto it.
Haha, I was kidding! I'm grabbing emerald autos of his when the prices aren't insane. So far, I've found a grand total of one lol.