Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
water damage opinion

water damage opinion
Hello,

If you have water damage to your cards and one of the corner areas is saturated for 5 or 6 hours would they be able to tell if/when you get it graded if you could not see it yourself.  Also what type of hit on a grade do you think it would be.  If a card was deemed EX what would the new grade best case and if a card was going to have a grade of 9 before hand.  

thank you

RE: water damage opinion
I imagine the card is a chrome or optic style card. Although the surface likely has no visible markers of having been wet. I bet if you turn the card sideways and look at the edge, the wet area has swelled up compared to the unwet area.

dimarco73 Wrote:I imagine the card is a chrome or optic style card.  Although the surface likely has no visible markers of having been wet.  I bet if you turn the card sideways and look at the edge, the wet area has swelled up compared to the unwet area.
actually there are different cards.  Just wanted to see what the group has an opinion to the value of the card how much it will go down. I know it's tough to sell without seeing examples. Thank you

Hopefully if you know it's water damaged, you'll be honest about it and not try to get it graded and pass it on to someone else.

Or, the grading company will figure it out and it gets such a low grade that you won't be able to get much for it.

Do you do much retail shopping by any chance?

rjcj2017 Wrote:Hopefully if you know it's water damaged, you'll be honest about it and not try to get it graded and pass it on to someone else.

Or, the grading company will figure it out and it gets such a low grade that you won't be able to get much for it.

Do you do much retail shopping by any chance?
no i do not retail shop.  Also i do not plan on doing that with the grading.  However I would still like to get your opinion of what a card with water damage would drop in value.  Lets say 2 cards one has visible damage and the other does not.  Location would be on bottom corner 1/2 square inch.  
thank you.

gaugie999@gmail.com Wrote:no i do not retail shop.  Also i do not plan on doing that with the grading.  However I would still like to get your opinion of what a card with water damage would drop in value.  Lets say 2 cards one has visible damage and the other does not.  Location would be on bottom corner 1/2 square inch.  
thank you.
In my humble opinion, the point of grading a card is to get a higher grade and therefore add value.  Grading a damaged card is like grading a dog turd.  Nobody wants it.  If it grades well, apparently it isn't that damaged, I have to hope the grading companies know what they are doing.  Selling it raw is the way to go, and do not expect a premium

I would say a card with water damage would go way down in value. I know I personally would not want to own a water damaged card. Is the card super rare? What card or cards are you talking about? This could make a difference.

akaus Wrote:I would say a card with water damage would go way down in value. I know I personally would not want to own a water damaged card. Is the card super rare? What card or cards are you talking about? This could make a difference.

This.

There are some 'iconic' cards that water damage may not hinder someone wanting to own. I would gladly take a legit '52 Mantle with water damage, for example. On the other hand, modern cards with water damage are throw aways. You have to understand that if the damage is not 'visible' to the naked eye, PSA/BGS will put it under high magnification and will likely see the issue.

One of the techniques used to artificially age counterfeits is to soak them in liquid. Professional graders can find that, so I would expect they can find 'water damage'.
Current Project #1 - 2022-23 O-Pee-Chee Base Set (520/600)
Current Project #2 - 2022-23 O-Pee-Chee Playing Card Set (49/54)

Current Most Wanted - 1991-92 Upper Deck #587 Nicklas Lidstrom YG PSA 10 Incoming