`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Mets Fans Want a Jerry Grote Auto?

Any Mets Fans Want a Jerry Grote Auto?
Friends, I busted three blasters and six jumbos of 2020 Topps Archives last night.

No Luis Robert RC - though I did get up to four cards of the same players, thanks a lot, Topps - but I did pull an auto:

[Image: Jerry.jpg]

If anyone is interested in this card, please PM me.

Thanks!

RJ

RE: Any Mets Fans Want a Jerry Grote Auto?
I remember my little league team going to Bat Day at Shea Stadium, circa 1969. (Bats for the team at bleacher seat prices ... a bargain!) I was a catcher and decided I wanted to get a Jerry Grote Bat. So when we walked up to the gate, I asked a few of the ticket-rippers which line had Jerry Grote bats, and he brought me to a line. I was very happy, handed in my ticket, was handed a brand new Louisville Slugger ... but it was Jerry Buchek ... I turned around and was mad at the Bat distributor and said, in my very best “Brooklynese” ... “Hey, Dis ain’t no Jerry Groo-tee Bat! It’s a Jerry Boo-chick Bat!” And the guy said in his very best “Queenese” ... “Close eee-nuff ... now gedouttahere!” Or at least that’s how I remember it ... I was a dumbass because later on my buddy wanted to trade me his Tom Seaver Bat but I didn’t want some lame, Bat from a pitcher that couldn’t hit his weight. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Anyway, I still have that darned bat somewhere ... and I hit pretty decently with it that year, too!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

DrMitchJ Wrote:I remember my little league team going to Bat Day at Shea Stadium, circa 1969. (Bats for the team at bleacher seat prices ... a bargain!) I was a catcher and decided I wanted to get a Jerry Grote Bat. So when we walked up to the gate, I asked a few of the ticket-rippers which line had Jerry Grote bats, and he brought me to a line. I was very happy, handed in my ticket, was handed a brand new Louisville Slugger ... but it was Jerry Buchek ... I turned around and was mad at the Bat distributor and said, in my very best “Brooklynese” ... “Hey, Dis ain’t no Jerry Groo-tee Bat! It’s a Jerry Boo-chick Bat!” And the guy said in his very best “Queenese” ... “Close eee-nuff ... now gedouttahere!” Or at least that’s how I remember it ... I was a dumbass because later on my buddy wanted to trade me his Tom Seaver Bat but I didn’t want some lame, Bat from a pitcher that couldn’t hit his weight. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Anyway, I still have that darned bat somewhere ... and I hit pretty decently with it that year, too!
Nice story.  So, do you want the Jerry Grote auto or not??!   Big Grin

kerryandbeth Wrote:Nice story.  So, do you want the Jerry Grote auto or not??!   Big Grin

Nah, but if was a Jerry Buchek Auto, I might consider it Smile
... and I probably would have told the same story. Wink
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I was getting excited that there was finally traffic on this thread and that I could potentially offload this Grote auto, and then I saw that it was just Cliff and Norm shooting the breeze as usual.  Tongue

Good story though, Doc ... I did a little research on Grote after I pulled the auto and by all accounts he was very gruff with kids when he played.

But he was also the catcher on the Amazin' Mets teams so I assumed I would have traded it by now.

Back in the day this card wouldn't have lasted 30 minutes after posting before someone wanted it.

I read Art Shamsky's book, After the Miracle: The Lasting Brotherhood of the '69 Mets recently and he talked about Grote being a rough, grumbling type of guy but thought he would have been an All-Star if not for Johnny Bench. Great read by the way, especially for a Mets fan. Art, Jerry Koosman, Bud Harrelson and Ron Swoboda take a road trip together to visit ailing Tom Seaver and the memories they recall from that season and their teammates are awesome to read about.

Sorry RJ, I don't really need the Grote card either but I know several people not on this site who would love it.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

rjcj2017 Wrote:I was getting excited that there was finally traffic on this thread and that I could potentially offload this Grote auto, and then I saw that it was just Cliff and Norm shooting the breeze as usual.  Tongue

Good story though, Doc ... I did a little research on Grote after I pulled the auto and by all accounts he was very gruff with kids when he played.

But he was also the catcher on the Amazin' Mets teams so I assumed I would have traded it by now.

Back in the day this card wouldn't have lasted 30 minutes after posting before someone wanted it.
LOL
Sorry to get you excited for no reason. 
I’m totally amazed that zero Mets fans jumped for this card.
personally, I have no need for it.Sad

DrMitchJ Wrote:LOL
Sorry to get you excited for no reason. 
I’m totally amazed that zero Mets fans jumped for this card.
personally, I have no need for it.Sad
It's going to a good home, no worries my friend!

Hey, I got a blaster of Archives and got one of those too.

My father probably saw him play - when he was in the Army, he was assigned to work at the medical center at West Point and the Mets played some games up there

ZSDOne Wrote:Hey, I got a blaster of Archives and got one of those too.

My father probably saw him play - when he was in the Army, he was assigned to work at the medical center at West Point and the Mets played some games up there
Very cool! Man, what are the odds of Topps not employing the use of very good collation?