IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
My Hobby History

RE: My Hobby History
Interesting stories!

So far RJ is in the lead with this comment.

1988 - Got one of those Hygrade collecting kits for my birthday, the ones with the sheets that had extra PVC in them

Early 70's - my cousin showed me his baseball card collection, loved those 72 colors.

Still early 70's buying hockey cards - had to get Bobby Orr cards, best pack I still remember; sitting on the stool at the Napa store , while my dad picked up auto parts and I got Orr, Esposito, and Sanderson out of the same pack!

1975 - Orr is injured and about to be traded. Rice and Lynn come from nowhere and lead the Red Sox to the World Series - I haven't hopped off the bandwagon since (even this year, which will test my loyalties) . Highlights of collecting that year...
cutting Rice ann Lynn out of their 4 player cards, so they can have their own card.
Being in the hospital with one of my numerous surgeries..being made to walk from the bed to the bathroom on my own, and coming back to find 10 packs of 1975 cards waiting for me in the bed! That was a whole dollars worth of card at a time when I got 25 a week for allowance!
Completed my very first team set. It was the Dodgers and I needed the Von Joshua in the worst way as the last card for the team set.

1978 - completed my first complete set of Topps.

1979-80 slowed down collecting, bought more comics than cards. "Best friend" across the street stole all my cards and sold them. Probably a year or two before he passed away (maybe 2005/6), his Dad walked over to our house with a small box of cards, he found hidden behind a wall in my buddies old bedroom, gave them to me and said, "I think these were probably yours"...

1980 - Ripped Larry Bird off of his card with Dr J. and Magic. No way was I going to let Bird share a card with those two villains! Also gave a couple away and my friends did the same thing...

1981 - three card companies? I completed all three sets....

Mid 80's completed all the Topps, Fleer, Donruss sets, finished my 75-80 Topps sets. Refused to buy set that did not come out of packs, Traded set, etc. There was no challenge in just buying the whole set.

1986 - completed the 86 Fleer basket ball set. The small set size meant you got a full set from a box. did not buy more boxes at $4 each on closeout because I had already completed it!

late 80's - Early 90's - stopped ,buying, Hockey, Football, and Basketball in that order. Began collecting strictly Baseball.

1993-95 Opened a couple of card shops, did shows, business was booming...then the Baseball strike, then the hockey lockout, both the Celtics and Pats stunk at the time, and I barely made it through the winher and spring of 94/95.

Spring 1995 Closed the store, still no baseball, when I got a good job with benefits (yes, I'm still there).

Late 90's early 2000's bought boxes, singles, completed a lot of sets. Refused to buy Auto and game used cards, too rich for my taste.

Mid 2000's - joined Topps,com, The Bench, and Beckett and several other trading sites. Stopped buying packs and boxes and stopped building current sets. Narrowed my focus to just Red Sox and older Topps sets.

late 2000's to present - Completed Topps run from 1968 - current. Completed over 2000 trades on forums like this. Built my Red sox collection up to over 52,000 unique cards and completed over 3000 Red Sox teams  going as far back as T206.

Scott
50,000+ Red Sox cards and counting.

david campos Wrote:So far RJ is in the lead with this comment.

1988 - Got one of those Hygrade collecting kits for my birthday, the ones with the sheets that had extra PVC in them
Like, even though I was 13 and brand new to collecting, I could see the chemical film bubbles in between the pockets of the sheets and was like, "are they sure these are good for the cards?"

But I stuck them in there anyway, LOL