`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joba Chamberlain's abandoned belongings going to auction

Joba Chamberlain's abandoned belongings going to auction
Doesn't sound like things have fared to well for Joba Chamberlain. Along with his house being foreclosed on, he had opened a bar/restaurant that apparently went under as well. There are 249 Joba cards going up for auction in this. I'd be curious to see what he had in his stash. It would be interesting to see their realized value now as opposed to what they were 10-13 years ago.

https://journalstar.com/news/local/joba-...84e9e.html

RE: Joba Chamberlain's abandoned belongings going to auction
That’s pretty sad. He had potential to be better, but still, he logged in enough time for a MLP pension. Wonder why he abandoned his home & contents?
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(08-11-2020, 08:37 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: That’s pretty sad. He had potential to be better, but still, he logged in enough time for a MLP pension. Wonder why he abandoned his home & contents?
Tough to find anything on him post-MLB life but from what little I could find of him in his early years, it doesn't sound like he came from a very stable background/family life and I imagine they likely had financial issues. I wouldn't be surprised if he just never really learned how to be financially responsible and burned through the money.

ricelynnevans75 Wrote:Tough to find anything on him post-MLB life but from what little I could find of him in his early years, it doesn't sound like he came from a very stable background/family life and I imagine they likely had financial issues.  I wouldn't be surprised if he just never really learned how to be financially responsible and burned through the money.

The Players Union should automatically assign each player to a financial advisor and all major contracts signed by players should have a 30 year deferred payout. As last I’ve heard, Bobby Bonilla is still relieving good money (one million a year) and he’s been out of baseball for nearly 2 decades. Very few 20-25 year olds are responsible with finances.
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(08-11-2020, 11:53 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: The Players Union should automatically assign each player to a financial advisor and all major contracts signed by players should have a 30 year deferred payout. As last I’ve heard, Bobby Bonilla is still relieving good money (one million a year) and he’s been out of baseball for nearly 2 decades. Very few 20-25 year olds are responsible with finances.
Yeah, but the reason Bonilla is getting that money is because he agreed to defer his most of his salary from the Mets back in the 90s.

Essentially the Mets are paying him NOW for when he played THEN.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

hempick Wrote:Yeah, but the reason Bonilla is getting that money is because he agreed to defer his most of his salary from the Mets back in the 90s.

Essentially the Mets are paying him NOW for when he played THEN.
Exactly what I was suggesting for all players. After they sign a big contract, they should have 30 years of deferred payments so they will not outlive or overspend their money. Heck, If I had a few million dollars when I was 24-27 years old, I’d have either spent it all ... or died trying.