`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Griffey Jr vs Trout

Griffey Jr vs Trout
The recent covid 19 quarantine has given me a chance to sort through some 90's insert cards . I was amazed how many real good looking Griffey inserts there are. Started looking through Griffeys I had not seen in years . Of course I started looking at sold ebay prices for fun and I am amazed how undervalued Griffey is compared to Trout . I think Ken Griffey Jr is every bit as well rounded if not better player than Mike Trout. Probably hit with more power and better defensively just did not play in the right markets. Cannot see why the card world disrespects Griffey so much. Nothing against Trout just think Griffey's better. Anyone else locked down with an opinion?
Photobucket

RE: Griffey Jr vs Trout
I dont think it has to do with the player. It has to do with the era of the baseball card business they happened to be playing in.

Imagine the insane value of a Ken Griffey Jr RC if it were in the 2011 Topps Update set rather than in 1989 Topps, Fleer, Donruss, UD?

jbissell is correct with the era of the baseball card business but also the era of more games being on TV for much of Griffey's earlier career it was ESPN or nothing I doubt that very many Mariners games were even on local channels in the Seattle market now every team has some sort of cable TV deal. Injuries of course also hurt Griffey as he would have surpassed Bonds if he would have had an injury free career.

(03-27-2020, 09:09 AM)jbissell Wrote: I dont think it has to do with the player. It has to do with the era of the baseball card business they happened to be playing in.

Imagine the insane value of a Ken Griffey Jr RC if it were in the 2011 Topps Update set rather than in 1989 Topps, Fleer, Donruss, UD?
Totally agree!
Junior was awesome and whether greater or equally great a player, card prices will never be an indicator for comparison to Trout. The cards are like apples to oranges. A better comparison may be cost of autographed baseballs. I believe they are around the same, generally speaking. 200-300 range?
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Ok, I disagree with all of you. Why? Because Griffey shows up in many current products and is ALWAYS less valued than Trout cards in the same product.

(03-27-2020, 10:15 AM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Ok, I disagree with all of you. Why? Because Griffey shows up in many current products and is ALWAYS less valued than Trout cards in the same product.

That is what I was talking about.
I think that is because Griffey is "old news". Trout is "NOW". A lot of the younger collectors have started collecting during the "Trout era" and may only remember Griffey from his final years when he was hurt a lot.

Also, it seems to me the highest valued inserts are Trout, Jeter, Ripken and Ryan. With all due respect, I don't think any of those last three were as good as Griffey.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I would say that is because Griffey Jr has been retired for a long time, and Trout is still playing and adding to his (likely) Hall of Fame resume. I think Trout cards are worth even more than Ted Williams and Babe Ruth inserts, and maybe even some of their cut autos. Trout is hot right now....Griffey, Williams, and Ruth are valuable, but stable.

When Mike Trout retires in say..2030, there will likely be some young 18 year old player like Wander Franco who explodes onto the scene, and if his trajectory follows the same path as Trout's has, his cards will surpass Trouts in value and Trout will remain valuable and stable.

That's my guess anyway.

I believe trout is the Griffey of are time. Griffey was always the hot player year after year for 8 to 10 years, maybe a little bit longer. Theres always going to be the the next babe Ruth type player every year. There are too many hyped players year after year and they turn out to be nobodys. Thats what I dont like about the hobby now. Everybody likes the new hot guy (and thats fine, but not me thought). I prefer to collect the hall of fame guys. Its a shame an auto of a hof is only 20-30.00 and a prospect auto of a nobody is the same price. Griffey was mr. excitement every time you watched him, same as trout now. I would of loved if Griffey would of signed with the Yankees for way more money than what the reds gave him. I think Griffey would of been great in the New York superstar spot light!!!! Maybe less injuries? More homeruns? More advertising?
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

(03-27-2020, 02:40 PM)elberson Wrote: I believe trout is the Griffey of are time. Griffey was always the hot player year after year for 8 to 10 years, maybe a little bit longer. Theres always going to be the the next babe Ruth type player every year. There are too many hyped players year after year and they turn out to be nobodys. Thats what I dont like about the hobby now. Everybody likes the new hot guy (and thats fine, but not me thought). I prefer to collect the hall of fame guys. Its a shame an auto of a hof is only 20-30.00 and a prospect auto of a nobody is the same price. Griffey was mr. excitement every time you watched him, same as trout now. I would of loved if Griffey would of signed with the Yankees for way more money than what the reds gave him. I think Griffey would of been great in the New York superstar spot light!!!! Maybe less injuries? More homeruns? More advertising?
On the bright side though, if one is a collector of HOF autos, many can be obtained at reasonable prices or for reasonable trades!

I do get it though. A Wander Franco auto valued higher than a Ruth or a Williams auto is a head scratcher.

I guess I shouldn't complain than lol.

1990s did have the best looking inserts
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]