Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
There's a Shark in My Water, and I Don't Like it

There's a Shark in My Water, and I Don't Like it
Friends,

I was in my local Target the other day and there were eight blasters, a ton of single packs and a bunch of hanger and jumbo packs of 2020 Topps Series 1.

I bought one jumbo pack (nada).

I go back in not even five days later and they were completely cleaned out.

I have noticed that this has happened several times in the last few months ... and I'm guessing one doosh has moved into my area and is buying them all.

He (or she, to be fair) just completely cleans out an entire product.

What are they hoping to accomplish?

Especially, no offense, with Topps flagship baseball?

I mean, I wasn't surprised when Prizm basketball got cleared out over the holidays, but ... base Topps?

I guess unless I decide to collect racing, soccer or hockey - no offense to those who do - I am just out of luck these days.

Even in my heyday as the Retail King I honestly can't recall ever completely clearing out an entire product.

(And no, buying hobby online is not an option for me.)

RE: There's a Shark in My Water, and I Don't Like it
It's been that way at my Target and Walmart too except for the fat packs and I refuse to buy retail packs.

Shark confirmed in my area.

I went in late Tuesday night, like 9:45 p.m. or so, there were like 12 blasters and four jumbo packs of Contenders basketball.

I went in Wednesday after work, like 5:30 p.m. or so, they were all cleared out.

There is no way that multiple, casual collectors cleared out that many in less than one work day.

The sad part is, they did it while the rest of us were working at real jobs.

You might want to consider getting what you want when you see it or befriend a worker who would be willing to hold stuff in the back for you. if that is possible, lol.
I collect LeBron, Jordan, Kobe and anything that catches my eye.
[Image: SU1BRzAxODMtMS5qcGc-1.jpg]

(02-25-2020, 08:30 PM)kenarm79 Wrote: You might want to consider getting what you want when you see it or befriend a worker who would be willing to hold stuff in the back for you. if that is possible, lol.
Yeah, it's been an adjustment in mentality for sure ... I went years without anyone really invading my "turf" (LOL), except for a random pack searcher here or there.

It used to be when a product was released, the typical allotment would be 8-10 blasters, a gravity box of 48 loose packs, maybe a dozen 3-packs and six hanger packs or so.

I would have at least a week before everything was cleared out ... now I'm not sure if I'll even see a single pack of certain products.

(02-26-2020, 11:03 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Yeah, it's been an adjustment in mentality for sure ... I went years without anyone really invading my "turf" (LOL), except for a random pack searcher here or there.

It used to be when a product was released, the typical allotment would be 8-10 blasters, a gravity box of 48 loose packs, maybe a dozen 3-packs and six hanger packs or so.

I would have at least a week before everything was cleared out ... now I'm not sure if I'll even see a single pack of certain products.
It is a change in the times. We have reached that point where profit has overtaken the love of the hobby. I do not know if I would even desire/afford starting a collection now. I guess you have to figure out if your desire out weighs the sharks lol.

(02-26-2020, 03:42 PM)kenarm79 Wrote: It is a change in the times. We have reached that point where profit has overtaken the love of the hobby. I do not know if I would even desire/afford starting a collection now. I guess you have to figure out if your desire out weighs the sharks lol.
That's the hard part. I used to buy almost every product and wouldn't stop until I pulled the hot rookie or whatever.

In the last couple of years I've had to reduce my spending by about 98 percent, so obviously that's not as much fun.

So there were many products that I skipped almost entirely altogether, and that was before the arrival of the sharks.

And now, on top of that, with the arrival of said sharks, I can't even find the occasional blaster or jumbo pack of the products I really do like and still want to collect.

(02-26-2020, 04:09 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: That's the hard part. I used to buy almost every product and wouldn't stop until I pulled the hot rookie or whatever.

In the last couple of years I've had to reduce my spending by about 98 percent, so obviously that's not as much fun.

So there were many products that I skipped almost entirely altogether, and that was before the arrival of the sharks.

And now, on top of that, with the arrival of said sharks, I can't even find the occasional blaster or jumbo pack of the products I really do like and still want to collect.

That is tough. I stopped collecting once I finally pulled a LeBron auto (that was the goal) a few years ago. Now I cannot afford any of my three players. I guess I can be thankful that I super collected during the timeframe that I did.

I have not purchased a blaster in years. I can only imagine going into the store and all of the basketball boxes are gone. That used to never happen.

(02-26-2020, 11:51 PM)kenarm79 Wrote: That is tough. I stopped collecting once I finally pulled a LeBron auto (that was the goal) a few years ago. Now I cannot afford any of my three players. I guess I can be thankful that I super collected during the timeframe that I did.

I have not purchased a blaster in years. I can only imagine going into the store and all of the basketball boxes are gone. That used to never happen.
I once pulled LeBron's SP Authentic RC and later sold it ... I have regretted it every day since.