`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Baseball Books I read this year

RE: Baseball Books I read this year
The only book I read in completion this year was "Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict" by Tanner Jones. I tend to skim books more than read through them completely. However in this case, I read it cover to cover.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(01-07-2020, 01:28 PM)djohn Wrote: The only book I read in completion this year was "Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict" by Tanner Jones. I tend to skim books more than read through them completely. However in this case, I read it cover to cover.
I've heard of that guy, LOL
As much of a sports and card fan as I am, I actually struggle with a lot of sports books.

For example ... the Lenny Dykstra book from a couple of years back.

I've always liked Nails, and greatly enjoyed his honesty about all the shenanigans and shadiness.

But, like most sports books, I tend to tune out (not picking on Nails here) when they start getting really specific about game details from 30 years ago.

"And then, in the third inning of game 2, so and so singled up the middle to advance so and so to third."

It's like, yes, I want to know what Kirk Gibson and Dennis Eckersley were both thinking after Gibby's homer in 1988 ... but I don't need the play by play of the first eight innings, you know what I mean?

(01-07-2020, 06:00 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: As much of a sports and card fan as I am, I actually struggle with a lot of sports books.
For example ... the Lenny Dykstra book from a couple of years back.
I've always liked Nails, and greatly enjoyed his honesty about all the shenanigans and shadiness.
But, like most sports books, I tend to tune out (not picking on Nails here) when they start getting really specific about game details from 30 years ago.
"And then, in the third inning of game 2, so and so singled up the middle to advance so and so to third."
It's like, yes, I want to know what Kirk Gibson and Dennis Eckersley were both thinking after Gibby's homer in 1988 ... but I don't need the play by play of the first eight innings, you know what I mean?
IMO, The best sports autobiographies talk mostly about the subjects' trials and tribulations. Early obstacles to overcome and persevere. The people they played with and anecdotal tails of their exploits. Play by play of one or two specific moments in the subject's life might be important and pivotal in their career (Like Gibby's HR, Mookie's ground ball thru Bill Buckner's legs, Carlton Fisk's HR, Koufax's perfect game, etc) but should be limited. I never read Nails, but if Lenny's book is filled with heavy play by play recollections, then I'm happy I didn't ever open it.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(01-08-2020, 12:28 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: IMO, The best sports autobiographies talk mostly about the subjects' trials and tribulations. Early obstacles to overcome and persevere. The people they played with and anecdotal tails of their exploits. Play by play of one or two specific moments in the subject's life might be important and pivotal in their career (Like Gibby's HR, Mookie's ground ball thru Bill Buckner's legs, Carlton Fisk's HR, Koufax's perfect game, etc) but should be limited. I never read Nails, but if Lenny's book is filled with heavy play by play recollections, then I'm happy I didn't ever open it.
It's not, it just has an average amount, but to me even the average amounts are too much.

(It's actually a really good read with all the other crazy stuff ... he's very open and honest about pretty much everything.)

I agree about the big moments ... like if Fisk wanted to take us through that at-bat ... "I was looking for a slider, and he threw a fastball right down the middle" or whatever, I'm all for it.

But it's recalling the first eight innings or whatever that puts me to sleep.

If you want an old school book to read, try From Ghetto To Glory by Bob Gibson

(01-08-2020, 10:22 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: I agree about the big moments ... like if Fisk wanted to take us through that at-bat ... "I was looking for a slider, and he threw a fastball right down the middle" or whatever, I'm all for it.

But it's recalling the first eight innings or whatever that puts me to sleep.
Exactly! Amen to that!
Give me the defining moment with a touch of backstory, if necessary.

A fun, yet slightly R-rated, read is a fake auto-bio of Mickey Mantle called :

7: The Mickey Mantle Novel by Pete Golenbock.
It basically takes place in heaven and Mantle is looking back over his debauchery filled existence on Earth. It's funny, it's raunchy, it's based on half-truths, rumors and speculation, but it's NOT a real biographical book.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(01-12-2020, 11:51 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: A fun, yet slightly R-rated, read is a fake auto-bio of Mickey Mantle called :

7: The Mickey Mantle Novel by Pete Golenbock.
It basically takes place in heaven and Mantle is looking back over his debauchery filled existence on Earth. It's funny, it's raunchy, it's based on half-truths, rumors and speculation, but it's NOT a real biographical book.
That Mantle book sounds like that might be a fun read. I'm reading David Cone's new book "Full Count" right now. I've also got to read Tanner's book and some of the others mentioned in this thread.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html