Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Time to Show Your List: Tit for Tat Trading

RE: Time to Show Your List: Tit for Tat Trading
Here is another I have

2019 Topps Update '84 Topps Silver Pack Chrome Autographs Orange Refractors #T84U35 Chris Paddack
Seattle Mariners super collector
I also collect some Braves players

Top wants
1 Kyle Seager            571 different cards
2 Ken Griffey, Jr.        1,202 different cards
3 Felix Hernandez      772 different cards
4 Hank Aaron            388 different cards
5 Edgar Martinez       540 different cards

(11-21-2019, 12:22 AM)garrisc Wrote: I just learned a lesson on this. I traded book value - card I received has Beckett value of $120 - I JUST checked last eBay sale - PSA 10 sold for $16. I could have bought a non graded for $20. Not my trading partners fault - mine for going against my usual routine before trade.

Scott
I understand there can be huge differences and can also be dangerous to rely on only one source of data. But, if the consensus is to use other online sales to determine value then I will back out of this as I do not want to spend my time researching up to minute data. To me, a trade will also be at least 35% more valuable than a sale because everyone hates to part with cash!!

I think this is a great idea, and here's one thought I would add.

I agree with Kerry 100 percent ... if we're going to try for up to the minute sale values this would be very difficult, even with the ORG.

Case in point ... I have two very nice Mike Trout cards (2011 Bowman Sterling RC and 2010 Bowman Platinum auto) that I am willing to trade to one member for a couple of basketball autos he has.

One of those autos is Zion Williamson, an NBA rookie who has yet to play a game this year due to injury.

People are literally making up four digit prices on the Bay right now and the cheapest legit factory auto I've seen of his is like $700.

So, point being, I have no idea if this guy is going to be the next Greg Oden due to injury, or the next Wilt Chamberlain.

Trout is a proven commodity and I know I will never see either of those cards again if I trade them.

However, I'm also at a point in my life and collecting career where I know if I don't trade for a Zion auto I am not going to get one - I don't have the funds to buy one online or bust enough wax to pull one.

(I mean, the Retail King only has so much magic up his sleeve ...)

Point being, a project like this is going to have to have a "feel" to it that may not necessarily land on book value OR recent sales.

Like, last book I saw on the Sterling Trout was $800 ... I have a feeling that once people calm down a little bit and actually come back to reality, that Zion auto might land in the $300-400 range.

Thus, I might have to "over trade" to get what I want and may have to budge on the actual book or sale value.

But I think we should also keep in mind when/where/how we originally got these cards.

I believe I traded for the Sterling Trout when it was maybe a $50 card?

I think if we look at it like that more deals might get done if we're not focused on haggling.

Thanks for reading if you're still here, LOL

(11-21-2019, 03:49 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: I think this is a great idea, and here's one thought I would add.

I agree with Kerry 100 percent ...
Boy, are you smart!! Big Grin

Congrats on getting your Zion, and I hope he is the next Charles Barkley (power with an attitude)

(11-21-2019, 04:01 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Boy, are you smart!! Big Grin

Congrats on getting your Zion, and I hope he is the next Charles Barkley (power with an attitude)
No, I haven't actually made any trades yet ... still waiting for a reply.

The Sterling Trout for Zion I would do, any combination of the other two cards we'll have to figure out, LOL

(11-21-2019, 03:20 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: I understand there can be huge differences and can also be dangerous to rely on only one source of data. But, if the consensus is to use other online sales to determine value then I will back out of this as I do not want to spend my time researching up to minute data. To me, a trade will also be at least 35% more valuable than a sale because everyone hates to part with cash!!
There is no consensus on how to trade, everyone has their own way of doing it. All I was saying was I did not follow what I usually do and it turned into a bad trade for me. Look at my statement - I just..., I traded..., I received..., I could..., my fault... - It was all about me, I did not suggest any special way to trade. I will turn the card into a Christmas gift and make someone happy. I made a nice trade last night, so all is good!

Oh, my response was generic and not aimed at you. Just a heads up for my side of the trade, Scott. I was using your post as a reference, not a target.

(11-21-2019, 09:18 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Oh, my response was generic and not aimed at you. Just a heads up for my side of the trade, Scott. I was using your post as a reference, not a target.
No problem Kerry - The tone of my reply could have been better. As I said, all is good.

Have: Carson Kelly 1/1 Auto 2019 Topps Chrome Future Stars Superfractor. Pretty much the kind of card that would likely go to a Kelly or 1/1 supercollector. Difficult to get a value on it because it's a 1/1. I love it, but I'm sure someone else would like it more.

Want: Braves auto (Acuna, Riley, Albies mostly)

Mostly looking for Braves RC, autographs, & variants.

Acuna, Albies, Ohtani, Guerrero JR

Bump. Anybody actually doing this type of trading yet?