`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What former top prospects have one more year before they're considered busts?

What former top prospects have one more year before they're considered busts?
My vote goes to Lewis Brinson. Has failed to hit above .200 in any of his 3 MLB seasons. Career OPS+ of 49(!). Hit for decent power last year (11 HR in 109 games), but has zero homers this year (39 games). Doesn't steal bases either, and strikes out quite a lot. He's hit well in the minors this year, but was drafted all the way back in 2012 out of high school, so he's looking pretty disappointing so far.reverse phone lookupnba reddit

Who else is close to being considered a bust?

RE: What former top prospects have one more year before they're considered busts?
Nick Gordon of the Twins. He showed up in 5 straight years of prospect cards and has not spent a single day in the majors regular season. Very disappointing that I own a 1 of 1 auto and it will never be worth anything.

RE: What former top prospects have one more year before they're considered busts?
(08-18-2019, 10:40 AM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Nick Gordon of the Twins. He showed up in 5 straight years of prospect cards and has not spent a single day in the majors regular season. Very disappointing that I own a 1 of 1 auto and it will never be worth anything.
Maybe Nick Gordon would be interested in that card ... or his Mom? Smile
(08-18-2019, 10:06 AM)DamianGerard Wrote: My vote goes to Lewis Brinson. Has failed to hit above .200 in any of his 3 MLB seasons. Career OPS+ of 49(!). Hit for decent power last year (11 HR in 109 games), but has zero homers this year (39 games). Doesn't steal bases either, and strikes out quite a lot. He's hit well in the minors this year, but was drafted all the way back in 2012 out of high school, so he's looking pretty disappointing so far.

That is a recipe for failure in 'The Bigs' for certain.
There's a bunch of potentials in the minors that never pan out in the majors.
Even some past ROY guys go bust after their inaugural season.
I have a signed 2012 ROY Trout / Hellickson card ... luckily for me, 50% of that card is overly making up for the other. Smile
So here are my Yankees list of potentials that couldn't make it
I'm giving up on Greg Bird ... probably the one Yankee that had 100% potential and hype with a 20% health potential. Perpetually on the IR for foot/ankle stuff, but it opened the door for them picking up Voit and DJ LeMaheiu (sp?) so, he served the greater good Smile
Tyler Austin, recently traded to San Fran and eventually demoted. He came on touted as a great player, had little glimmers of greatness then never sustained it.

There are many more failures than successes in baseball so the list is endless.... but that's baseball!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I'll put Rusney Castillo on that list. The Red Sox signed him to a $72.5 million contract back in 2014 out of Cuba. Haven't seen him in the Majors since 2015 and he's still under contract through next year.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Kyle Lewis from the Mariners. Of course, the Mariners have dominated this list over the past 20 years! Tongue
All-time favorite insert card designs:

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  4. 1993 Ultra Award Winners
  5. 2001 Bowman Heritage Chrome
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

(08-18-2019, 12:05 PM)zeprock Wrote: I'll put Rusney Castillo on that list. The Red Sox signed him to a $72.5 million contract back in 2014 out of Cuba. Haven't seen him in the Majors since 2015 and he's still under contract through next year.
Holy crap!

Desert racing baseball card collector? Yeah, that's not weird...

Nick Gordon is a disappointing one for sure.

I would also go with Jorge Mateo.

(08-18-2019, 12:05 PM)zeprock Wrote: I'll put Rusney Castillo on that list. The Red Sox signed him to a $72.5 million contract back in 2014 out of Cuba. Haven't seen him in the Majors since 2015 and he's still under contract through next year.
I totally forgot about him! WOW!

(08-18-2019, 10:57 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Maybe Nick Gordon would be interested in that card ... or his Mom? Smile

That is a recipe for failure in 'The Bigs' for certain.
There's a bunch of potentials in the minors that never pan out in the majors.
Even some past ROY guys go bust after their inaugural season.
I have a signed 2012 ROY Trout / Hellickson card ... luckily for me, 50% of that card is overly making up for the other. Smile
So here are my Yankees list of potentials that couldn't make it
I'm giving up on Greg Bird ... probably the one Yankee that had 100% potential and hype with a 20% health potential. Perpetually on the IR for foot/ankle stuff, but it opened the door for them picking up Voit and DJ LeMaheiu (sp?) so, he served the greater good Smile
Tyler Austin, recently traded to San Fran and eventually demoted. He came on touted as a great player, had little glimmers of greatness then never sustained it.

There are many more failures than successes in baseball so the list is endless.... but that's baseball!
I guess I didn't totally follow the topic parameters ... Tyler Austin, not at all.
but Greg Bird for sure is in that zone of a top prospect, but if he doesn't prove himself this year or next, he's a bust!
Justus Sheffield might be in that discussion. Top pitching prospect for Cleveland, caught up in a trade with the Yanks. Pitched a few non-impressive innings, demoted and traded. Not sure where he is now, but I feel that if he was a top notch prospect, he'd be pitching regularly by now. I'd give him one more year before deeming him a 'bust'
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(08-18-2019, 10:06 AM)DamianGerard Wrote: My vote goes to Lewis Brinson. Has failed to hit above .200 in any of his 3 MLB seasons. Career OPS+ of 49(!). Hit for decent power last year (11 HR in 109 games), but has zero homers this year (39 games). Doesn't steal bases either, and strikes out quite a lot. He's hit well in the minors this year, but was drafted all the way back in 2012 out of high school, so he's looking pretty disappointing so far.

Considering Brinson was the centerpiece of the Yelich trade, I second that!
All-time favorite insert card designs:

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  4. 1993 Ultra Award Winners
  5. 2001 Bowman Heritage Chrome
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

(08-18-2019, 10:42 PM)jack pfiester Wrote: Considering Brinson was the centerpiece of the Yelich trade, I second that!
Yeah, Go Marlins!! Sad