`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite brands/types of cards

Favorite brands/types of cards
I was reading the Most Peculiar Item in your Collection thread and got inspired to create a top 10 list of items I collect, mostly in order. Oddball cards have always been my favorite and there is no shortage, even though there are hardly any nowadays.

Here is my top 10 list:

1) Food cards - Post, Kelloggs, Hostess, Drakes, King-B, Kraft, Nestle, Pepsi are my favorite but there are a plethora from the 80's and 90's when almost every cereal box, loaf of bread, milk carton, can of shredded beef jerkey, and half rack of soda had some sort of promotion.

2) 1991-1992 Donruss Elite & Upper Deck Heroes autographs - My trials and tribulations have been well documented in this forum. I really can't believe that I've only pulled two inserts out of all the boxes I've opened over the past 3-4 years. Same goes for 1991/1992 Upper Deck! Someday I will pull a Nolan Ryan, Hank Aaron, and Ted Williams Upper Deck Heroes autograph!

3) Kenner Starting Lineup - Due to a lack of storage space, I always open the package and remove the card. Have kept a few figures over the years, but they take up a lot of space, and definitely don't keep them sealed unless I come across something valuable.

4) O-Pee-Chee/Leaf - Always loved the Canadian version of cards and these are starting to really take off in value because people realize the production was a fraction of the Topps/Donruss mainstream sets. I actually picked up a bit of French from these cards!

5) Stadium Giveaway - Specifically Mother's Cookies and Keebler team sets. These could fall under food cards as the individual player sets were packaged in Animal Cookies and other goodies, but the team sets are where it's at!

6) 1993-1996 Flair - Quite frankly, 1993 Flair is my favorite card design! Love the thick stock, borderless front with dual photos and gold embossed names. They are simple and elegant. Insert sets are top notch, especially 1994 Hot Gloves.

7) Topps Tiffany/Fleer Glossy - Tiffany has really taken off in the past couple years even though 10,000 sets isn't rare by any means. I'm surprised the Fleer Glossy sets haven't appreciated. The last set I opened was extremely off center, almost every single card, and edges were rough as well.

8) Stickers - Had a run of 1988-1990 Panini sticker albums that were nearly complete. However, when collecting became more serious, I treated them like regular cards. I learned from my brother who peeled a 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan sticker and put it on the front of his notebook! 1986 Fleer Star Stickers are one of my favorite designs ever. Love the brownish/red border and Canseco's dirty stache!

9) Gaming cards - Even though I don't actually play the game, MLB Showdown and 1995 Donruss Top of the Order are two of my favorite's and seem to be holding value pretty steady. Much like the Magic/Pokemon craze, finding rare/variations is the key. I really like how MLB Showdown incorporated retired players and HOFer's. Foil/rainbow technology is great. I would include APBA, Classic, and to some extent Topps Attax in this category. 2010 Topps Attax Battle For the Ages was a cool concept again incorporating legends vs. active players.

10) Sportflics - Pretty much any year. Really innovative for the era, and the 3D motion still holds up today as one of the most important products/designs of the junk wax era.

Have to give an honorable mention to Traded/Update/Donruss the Rookies sets. It was so cool to finally see a player with his new team and in a new uniform and pull early RC's of hot rookies. Two of the most valuable sets from the 80's are both traded sets, 1982 Topps and 1984 Fleer.

The green card stock of 1986-1990 Donruss the Rookies were simply phenomenal, even if the value has diminished due to over production.
All-time favorite insert card designs:

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  4. 1993 Ultra Award Winners
  5. 2001 Bowman Heritage Chrome
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

RE: Favorite brands/types of cards
In the food category I always liked the 1992 French's with the dual players on the card.

I was buying a ton of Quaker Oats granola bars to get a set of those cards during the 80s as well as chewing way too much bazooka bubble gum to acquire a full set of those cards. Fun stuff!

There was a 1992 or 1993 or 1994 toys r us baseball tin set by Topps. The tin was a small stadium. I have one somewhere. Anything special or cool about those cards?
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(06-29-2019, 02:13 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: I was buying a ton of Quaker Oats granola bars to get a set of those cards during the 80s as well as chewing way too much bazooka bubble gum to acquire a full set of those cards. Fun stuff!

There was a 1992 or 1993 or 1994 toys r us baseball tin set by Topps. The tin was a small stadium. I have one somewhere. Anything special or cool about those cards?
How could I forget Bazooka? Also one of my favorite food cards!

Are you referring to the 1993 Toys R Us Young Stars? It was designed to be similar to the Stadium Club Dome and Murphy sets. Great design, but nothing really valuable.

There are exclusive Master Photos with the Toys R Us logo which are cool!

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

I agree on the early Elite inserts and the early Flair sets. 1993 Flair was quite memorable for me as my mom got me a box of them when I was in the hospital after surgery one time.

Loved and still love Sportflics/Sportsflics/Sportsflix cards. It has always bothered me that they typically aren't worth as much as other cards of that era because I happen to think they are nicer. *shrug*
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

I like the 1994 Nabisco autograph cards. It's a cheap way to get on card autographs of some of the greatest players. I know the no logos thing is what keeps them low in value. But to get on card autographs is pretty neat, and they're HOFers.

the dog food one Purina.
and 1914 General baking
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

(06-29-2019, 08:32 PM)waynetalger Wrote: the dog food one Purina.
and 1914 General baking
I just picked up the 1984 Ralston Purina set today!

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

(06-29-2019, 11:28 AM)jack pfiester Wrote: How could I forget Bazooka? Also one of my favorite food cards!
Are you referring to the 1993 Toys R Us Young Stars? It was designed to be similar to the Stadium Club Dome and Murphy sets. Great design, but nothing really valuable.
There are exclusive Master Photos with the Toys R Us logo which are cool!
1993 is Probably what I was thinking about. When I dig it outta storage I'll post some pics, but thanks for the info.

BTW: Fun topic, Jack!!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(06-30-2019, 12:41 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: 1993 is Probably what I was thinking about. When I dig it outta storage I'll post some pics, but thanks for the info.

BTW: Fun topic, Jack!!
Guess I should've made Boxed Sets a separate category. Loved finding exclusive sets at Retail locations. 1985 Woolworth stands out at it is one of the first sets I remember that included retired and active players. Who doesn't like getting a Babe Ruth card!

Also, love 1986-1988 Fleer Mini. Glad they used completely different photos for these cards compared to regular issue.

The 1987-1991 Toys R Us Rookies sets are cool too! The Toys R Us logo really pops.

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars