`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Question

RE: General Question
(04-29-2019, 10:37 AM)garrisc Wrote: I have been here since 2012 - never been offered the magazine subscription as part of my renewal.
Ditto on the mag subscription and I've been here since 2003.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Been here since 1999 and used to get mag, but have not in the last 12 years or so..maybe I am missing something??

(04-29-2019, 11:19 AM)bonds20001 Wrote: Been here since 1999 and used to get mag, but have not in the last 12 years or so..maybe I am missing something??
Beckett has tried for the last couple of months to get me to renew but I have declined. Today they must have decided to try one more time. I initially said no again but decided to ask about the magazine subscription, he seemed a little reluctant but did confirm this as an option so I did renew. So I guess you have to ask about it.

(04-29-2019, 06:15 PM)garrisc Wrote: Beckett has tried for the last couple of months to get me to renew but I have declined. Today they must have decided to try one more time. I initially said no again but decided to ask about the magazine subscription, he seemed a little reluctant but did confirm this as an option so I did renew. So I guess you have to ask about it.
The magazine is how I got here. I would pick up Beckett at Barnes & Nobel and my monthly habit was around $10. I saw an ad for a 'dynamic duo' for $99 and was getting my mags for less than newsstand and all the on-line stuff, too??!?!?! it was a no-brainer for me. The price went up to $109 which wasn't a big deal. I've been kicking around on the boards since 2011 and after 8 years, a $10 price hike seemed reasonable.

The magazine is actually about 10 -15 pages of readable material and 200 pages of priceguide listings that are way too small for me to read Smile. I liked the mag better when Chris was the editor and he'd mention us in some of his editorials and articles. I was quoted a few times and others had stories about their collections featured in the magazine. It had a very 'hometown newspaper' feel to it then. It's not bad with Ryan currently, but he doesn't really interact with the boards, so there's a bit of a disconnect for me now. But the latest issue is an Art issue and features many great sports artists. Pick it up!

All in all, I'm happy with the friends I've made here, I've enjoyed the trades I've made, I'm not collecting in a vacuum anymore, the folks here understand me & my hobby waaaay better than my family ever did (or will), and the ORG has actually kept me more organized than I would have been without it ... I'm still a mess, but a lot better off. Smile
$109 isn't that bad a price for all I get from this site. ( This is an unsolicited testimonial and I have not been compensated by Beckett ... unless winning an autographed Hockey card during a customer appreciation contest counts) Smile
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

What happened to Chris? Like you I thought he was a good editor and he would interact with us. I heard once he got hurt and that's why he wasn't there.

(04-29-2019, 09:54 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: The magazine is how I got here. I would pick up Beckett at Barnes & Nobel and my monthly habit was around $10. I saw an ad for a 'dynamic duo' for $99 and was getting my mags for less than newsstand and all the on-line stuff, too??!?!?! it was a no-brainer for me. The price went up to $109 which wasn't a big deal. I've been kicking around on the boards since 2011 and after 8 years, a $10 price hike seemed reasonable.

The magazine is actually about 10 -15 pages of readable material and 200 pages of priceguide listings that are way too small for me to read Smile. I liked the mag better when Chris was the editor and he'd mention us in some of his editorials and articles. I was quoted a few times and others had stories about their collections featured in the magazine. It had a very 'hometown newspaper' feel to it then. It's not bad with Ryan currently, but he doesn't really interact with the boards, so there's a bit of a disconnect for me now. But the latest issue is an Art issue and features many great sports artists. Pick it up!

All in all, I'm happy with the friends I've made here, I've enjoyed the trades I've made, I'm not collecting in a vacuum anymore, the folks here understand me & my hobby waaaay better than my family ever did (or will), and the ORG has actually kept me more organized than I would have been without it ... I'm still a mess, but a lot better off. Smile
$109 isn't that bad a price for all I get from this site. ( This is an unsolicited testimonial and I have not been compensated by Beckett ... unless winning an autographed Hockey card during a customer appreciation contest counts) Smile
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

I've been here since early 200s and like everyone else I've never gotten the magazine offer with renew. But I don't use the magazine nor its pricing. That said, I do like the ORG feature. How much is it a month? If it's like $5-$7 or whatever, I might try it. But I also have a website I'm constantly adding to/taking away from as I make deals. And it's free. I also price cards through ebay. Guess what, it's free too. So no need for a magazine or OPG sub for me when it comes to pricing since no one uses that any more anyways. But I do like the ORG feature.

My understanding is that Chris Olds left on his own due to disagreements with Beckett ownership over his blunt comments and methods. He was a blogger before Beckett, so he tends to say it like it is, which I like and many of us appreciated. He still tweets about sports and has quite a following for that. I wonder where he officially works...and I did not hear about any injury.

After he left I emailed him to ask if he is coming back and got a vague message from him that gave me the understanding above.

I particularly miss him and his skinnier, dark-haired co-worker (cannot remember his name) doing Box Breaks online for Beckett. Those were fun to watch and they were very competitive about what each opened; that was entertainment.