Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1957 Swift Meats

RE: 1957 Swift Meats
Little update:

I went to a card show and none of the vendors said they had seen a complete set like mine. Some of the vendors said they had never heard of it. I was offered a 4 figure number for it, but I turned it down as I was just looking for more info and was not looking to sell. I am still debating on whether or not to get them slabbed and graded.
PC: Brooks Robinson, Frank Robinson, Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Lou Brock, Bob Gibson, Hank Aaron, Harmon Killebrew

I am not sure graded and slabbed will increase value as it is very rare.. For Protection..ok..for authentication..ok..I wonder who would do that grading anyway..
You are very fortunate to come across this great piece of baseball history..
I am green with envy..

(04-25-2019, 11:52 AM)bonds20001 Wrote: I am not sure graded and slabbed will increase value as it is very rare.. For Protection..ok..for authentication..ok..I wonder who would do that grading anyway..
You are very fortunate to come across this great piece of baseball history..
I am green with envy..
Thanks. Yeah I was thinking of getting it done more for just protecting it from anything. Once I get my stuff all set up I will have it as a display piece.
PC: Brooks Robinson, Frank Robinson, Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Lou Brock, Bob Gibson, Hank Aaron, Harmon Killebrew

(04-25-2019, 12:13 PM)Addakin Wrote: Thanks. Yeah I was thinking of getting it done more for just protecting it from anything. Once I get my stuff all set up I will have it as a display piece.
Great idea..it is really a nice set..

I have seen the individual cards graded, however you still have them in the 3 sheets of 6 cards each. I am not sure if they will grade the whole sheets though.

As for value, Heritage Auctions has sold several of these complete sets over the years. One just sold last week with the playing field and envelope for $1440. About 3 years ago a complete set with playing field and envelope sold at Heritage Auctions for just under $2k (including buyers premium). Prior to that, one sold at Heritage Auctions in 2004 for a little over $1500. Last year a set of just the 3 sheets of cards sold for $1140 at Heritage.

So the offer of a few grand from someone at a show was actually pretty good. I think some people get really excited about stuff like this when they see it, but most people don't ever go out of their way looking for it. Thus auctions tend to not do as well as one might expect. If I had to put a value on this as a set I would put it around $2,000. However if you were to grade the sheets or individual cards and they came back as high grades that value could go up significantly.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Grading everything individually may be more $$ in long run, but for me, as a collector, keeping everything together is more value. Tough call..if it were me, I would keep intact.

(04-25-2019, 05:32 PM)bonds20001 Wrote: Grading everything individually may be more $$ in long run, but for me, as a collector, keeping everything together is more value. Tough call..if it were me, I would keep intact.
It really comes down to how good of a grade can you expect to get. If each card came back as PSA 9 or 10, then it's definitely worth it. Even if just the Robinson and Aaron came back as 10s, then it would be worth it. However do some research on the individual auction prices and you might be surprised that these really don't sell that high, even in PSA 8 condition. I would check to see if Beckett or PSA would grade the entire sheets, as that is something you don't see and I haven't seen before. If they would do that, then I would definitely do it and then keep everything together.
If it was mine, I would definitely keep it all together. I would check into grading the sheets, but if they won't grade them or they don't look like they would grade well then I would consider getting them then I would just keep them as is, or possibly even have the whole thing framed up nicely.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Agreed..it is a big enough item, it should on a national stage for auction..otherwise. protect and save..what a great an interesting item..that said..if your break and grade it i am interested in Giants from this item!!

I would NEVER seperate the players from the sheets. I think the inherent value of the collection is in the fact that it's been kept together and not pieced together card by card. That's just me, perhaps, but if I were to be in the market, and a complete set with the figures punched out vs. still on the sheet? I'd go with the sheet and pay a premium.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

May be looking to sell!!!