Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Albies agrees to 7 year extension for $35 million

Albies agrees to 7 year extension for $35 million
https://www.mlb.com/news/braves-ozzie-al...01171924=1

Acuna AND Albies locked down for 15ish total years and under $150 million.

I have thoughts on this, but I will refrain from posting them. Interested in what others think, though.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

RE: Albies agrees to 7 year extension for $35 million
Well, since only 3 things are guaranteed in life, I would have also locked down some decent cash before something bad happens. It might not seem to be enough when comparing other recent contracts, but who knows? Maybe either of them will turn out to be just another player who hits .250 with some occasional power, and they will heave a big sigh of relief that they are making that moolah.

Great signings for the Braves. 35 million is still a ton of money. It keeps Atlanta open for more extensions and add one for a great core.

Albies signing is a real 2 edged sword. I assume he is happy with it or would have not agreed/signed. If he ends up a very average player with really no impact over the length of the contract or gets hurt he makes out, otherwise the Braves do.

Just remember, the economics of baseball as a whole is a $10 billion in revenue a year industry. That's $333.33 million per team per year. Assuming that each team represents approx. (on the very high end) $200 million in players salaries per year, that leaves $130 million per team per year. Assuming the average cost of covering all other expenses for a ball club (minors, scouting and development, front office, marketing ect.) is $30 million per year, that leaves$100 million per team per year as a very, very rough estimate

Without getting into the whole social economic debate I think the players are short changing themselves.