`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you collect cards from the 80s//early 90s?

How do you collect cards from the 80s//early 90s?
Anyone here collect cards from the over production years of the 80s and early 90s? With it being so easy to order any specific card, is there anything you do to make collecting those years more challenging?
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

RE: How do you collect cards from the 80s//early 90s?
I collect every card of every player that I collect which includes every single Hall of Famer and many other stars who may go to the Hall or should've gone to the Hall had they not been idiots. That includes cards from those overproduced years. Many players that I collect have cards from those years so I collect those too. I keep them chronologically displayed in binders by individual players. I have all of the Topps sets from those years but am still missing some inserts and oddball stuff. Other than my complete sets, I don't seek out any other cards from those years other than the players that I collect.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I collect all years but mainly focus on 1986-1996 which are the years of my collecting prime so it makes me feel good to be able to obtain cards that as a kid were out of my price range and I could only drool over in Beckett, at my LCS or at a card show. I pretty much have all of the rookie cards and base stars from this time period, so I try to collect all of the insert sets. So far I have 230 complete insert sets. I also really like to collect oddball regional releases and broder cards, even though the broder cards don't carry much value I like them because they usually use photos that I have never seen before.

I collect rookie cards of Hall of Fame type players. I love rookie cards. I am working on getting some rookie card from the 1980's and 90's.

Thanks for all of the responses. They give me ideas on where I want my collection to go. With the Internet, collecting those sets with packs/boxes is still not easy. I just need more room for storage.
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

There are a couple of things I do.

- Collect every main issue of my favorite player.
- Collect a sealed box of each type
- Target the ULTRA rare prototypes ('86 Donruss Highlights White Letter, '88 Topps Cloth, '89 Donruss & Leaf Blue Chips and '90 Donruss Aqueous)

The last item is the most challenging by far, as many of those may only have 5-10 copies in existence. Think it is tough tracking down a super rare card from the past 20 years? Try tracking down super rare cards from 30+ years ago ... fun stuff! Smile
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME! Smile
www.TanManBaseballFan.com
Do you have rare Jose Canseco cards? Let me know!
Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict

Boxes are so cheap from that era I'm buying up all the 1991-1993 Donruss and 1990-1992 Upper Deck boxes.

I'm going to corner the market and the autographed Heroes cards and Elite Inserts!

As far as the base cards, I take 1 of the HOFers, and potential HOFers (although Harold Baines threw a wrench in my plans) from that era and the rest are sent to Waste Management recycling facilities or used as kindling in my new fireplace.
All-time favorite insert card designs:

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  4. 1993 Ultra Award Winners
  5. 2001 Bowman Heritage Chrome
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars