`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grading Standards

Grading Standards
Where can I read about the BGS grading standards (similar to what PSA publishes below)

https://www.psacard.com/resources/gradin...rds/#cards

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
Ryan

RE: Grading Standards
Bout the closest thing you'll find

https://www.beckett.com/grading/scale

(01-27-2019, 05:44 PM)wsauble Wrote: Bout the closest thing you'll find

https://www.beckett.com/grading/scale
Thanks for your help. I've heard complaints that BGS mis-grades cards and it appears they've mis-graded mine.

Anyone with feedback on how to obtain a refund for a misgraded card based on their own published standards?

(01-29-2019, 06:16 PM)9NewVision9 Wrote: Thanks for your help. I've heard complaints that BGS mis-grades cards and it appears they've mis-graded mine.

Anyone with feedback on how to obtain a refund for a misgraded card based on their own published standards?
What you mean by "mis-grade" cause that's a pretty vague description. I'm assuming you got something graded and it didn't come back what you thought it would? Like a drastic difference. Usually when it comes back like that theres hidden creases or bend that weren't noticed via the naked eye. Is that kinda what your situation is or is there just nothing wrong with it and it got a super low grade cause then if thats the case you could always shoot them an email about it. More in likely you'll have to pay the expenses out of pocket for return ship and grade, but dont quote me on that.

(01-29-2019, 09:55 PM)wsauble Wrote: What you mean by "mis-grade" cause that's a pretty vague description. I'm assuming you got something graded and it didn't come back what you thought it would? Like a drastic difference. Usually when it comes back like that theres hidden creases or bend that weren't noticed via the naked eye. Is that kinda what your situation is or is there just nothing wrong with it and it got a super low grade cause then if thats the case you could always shoot them an email about it. More in likely you'll have to pay the expenses out of pocket for return ship and grade, but dont quote me on that.
I submitted a 1989 Upper Deck Griffey Jr rookie, which was analyzed under magnifying loop and measured on a spectrometer by a professional collective before being submitted to BGS. The card measured perfectly center on front and back but came back an 8.5 sub on centering, which by their standards, it would have had to be significantly off-center by 70/30 and/or 60/40.

I've spoken to a lot of people in the industry that say they stopped grading with Beckett because of issues like this and that they experienced this type of problem specifically with the '89 Griffey Jr.

(02-05-2019, 11:21 PM)9NewVision9 Wrote: which was analyzed under magnifying loop and measured on a spectrometer by a professional
I'm genuinely curious, what data was collected using a spectrometer? If centering is your concern, I'd think taking a high resolution scan of the card then using a tool like photoshop to measure the number of pixels between the edge of the card and where the picture starts would be the most efficient way to get centering.

For 1989 Upper Deck, the left/right centering is pretty obvious that it needs to be equal on the front. The top/bottom is supposed to be a bit offset on purpose for the picture. I can't say with authority but I would imagine that the Upper Deck logo at the bottom left would need to have equal white space from top to bottom to be considered centered 50/50.

The back is a lot easier to determine where there should be equal amounts of white border top/bottom and equal amounts of border left/right.

In the end it's a subjective opinion on the card that results in the grade assigned. You can try submitting it to another grading service for a second opinion.

(02-06-2019, 02:00 PM)jplarson Wrote: I'm genuinely curious, what data was collected using a spectrometer? If centering is your concern, I'd think taking a high resolution scan of the card then using a tool like photoshop to measure the number of pixels between the edge of the card and where the picture starts would be the most efficient way to get centering.

For 1989 Upper Deck, the left/right centering is pretty obvious that it needs to be equal on the front. The top/bottom is supposed to be a bit offset on purpose for the picture. I can't say with authority but I would imagine that the Upper Deck logo at the bottom left would need to have equal white space from top to bottom to be considered centered 50/50.

The back is a lot easier to determine where there should be equal amounts of white border top/bottom and equal amounts of border left/right.

In the end it's a subjective opinion on the card that results in the grade assigned. You can try submitting it to another grading service for a second opinion.
Centering is measured using tools, unless Beckett is operating behind the times. There's no subjectivity involved.

I assume I'd have to break open the BGS casing in order to scan it properly enough.

(02-07-2019, 04:51 AM)9NewVision9 Wrote: Centering is measured using tools, unless Beckett is operating behind the times. There's no subjectivity involved.

I assume I'd have to break open the BGS casing in order to scan it properly enough.
Using a CCD style scanner and not the more common CIS scanner and you'll be fine leaving it in the case. As for my comment on subjective grading, I meant that the other three components of the grade are certainly subjective. Without seeing the grading process, I can't say whether centering is tool assisted or not. However the final grade includes more subjectivity than not

Hello all...I am fairly new to BGS' grading requirements. Would I have any chance of improving on the 7 centering sub grade if I resubmitted? If I had a chance, would my best bet be to keep it in the slab? Thx

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(04-26-2019, 01:13 PM)MikeHollandsworth Wrote: Hello all...I am fairly new to BGS' grading requirements. Would I have any chance of improving on the 7 centering sub grade if I resubmitted? If I had a chance, would my best bet be to keep it in the slab? Thx
Hi Mike,

I have been grading cards with BGS ever since day 1, when they came into the grading card business. I have some good things to say and some not-so-good things to say regarding the grading services.

The centering on the card is the centering; there is no way to change it. They use a measuring tool to determine the centering. I learned the hard way when I submitted a BGS card, slab intact for removal to be assessed by BVG, as their standards on grading are "softer" on older cards. Basically the centering was the same, and the card improved one half point on corners, edges and surface.

I would suggest to keep your cards in the slab. If you were to remove them, it is quite easy to damage the card (learned that the hard way too).

Good luck in collecting,

Rob