`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broke a box for the first time in almost 5 years

Broke a box for the first time in almost 5 years
Hello all! Probably don't remember me but I used to be big on collecting football cards around the 2012-2015 years. In early 2015 I suddenly lost interest in collecting, I was buying entirely too much and I just wasn't having fun with the hobby anymore. I put all my cards in storage and while I didn't completely forget all about it I moved on to other pastimes. Fast forward to this past week.
It's rained all week and haven't had much to do since most of my hobbies these days involve being outside in one way or another. A few days ago I had the idea of looking around the proverbial closet, looking at a bunch of stuff from the past. I came across my collection and decided "heck, why not?" I figured I would just look at a box or two for old time's sake, reminisce for the night and put it away to collect dust. I still kind of remember most of my nicer cards so I wasn't expecting to come across anything that would blow me away. I just so happened to take out the box that I left unorganized when I "left" the hobby. I looked at cards I didn't remember having, many rookies that back then weren't household names. Afterwards, I had to look a little bit more just to see if my recollection was really that far off. I must have spent hours looking through boxes. Each time seeing cards that felt like I was opening for the first time. Right when my back was starting to feel like it was about to split in half, I thought "Man, I might have to buy a box tomorrow just for fun". Box Breaking is undoubtedbly the funnest part, at least for me.
So I did!
I went to Target, it had been so long that the area where they used to be was a completely different aisle, I didn't realize Target had even been remodeled. I found the new area and sure enough, there were many boxes on the racks. Since when has Optic been a thing? Don't remember seeing that brand.
Anyway, I bought a 2018 Donruss box, the Target edition with the exclusive Green parallels and a random Fairfield Field Goal Box, said it guaranteed an Auto, GU, 1 Hobby pack, and 3 other packs.
It's like the cardboard gods want me to get back into it all over again, definitely scored some pretty good hits for retail. (I'm a retail guy btw, bite me)
I'm not sure if I'll ever get truly crazy with it like the days of yesteryear but I think I'll buy at least one box every once in a while. I didn't know I missed that instantly recognizable smell of fresh cardboard that much. Even if I don't buy anymore, I would still like to move some of these cards to start reducing inventory and to get them in the hands of people who still feel like they're opening their very first pack.

Anyway, what's all changed since about Springish 2015? Anything major? Like I mentioned above how long has Optic been a thing? If someone could fill me in with the need-to-knows that would be fantastic. I barely remember much of the trading card world and its ways. Thanks in advance!
[Image: Desertfox24.gif]

Collecting Ed "Too Tall" Jones and Dallas Cowboys!
Also collecting: Dez Bryant, Keke Coutee, Jorvorskie Lane, Ken Houston and Reggie McNeal

http://s1339.beta.photobucket.com/user/D...1/library/

RE: Broke a box for the first time in almost 5 years
Welcome back to the insanity! Basically when Topps was still in the game, Panini used Prizm to compete with Chrome. A couple years ago Panini decided to elevate Prizm to more of a Finest competitor and introduced Optic as the new Chrome-style offering.

RE: Broke a box for the first time in almost 5 years
Welcome back! Lots of changes to the hobby, biggest being Panini now has the exclusive license. Otherwise its the same craziness! P.S. Johnny Manziel and RG3 are NOT hot anymore :p