`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saved a ton of money on Black Friday...by not buying

Saved a ton of money on Black Friday...by not buying
Since I rated the 2018 Hobby a 4 out of 10, I didn't buy anything other than singles on COMC with the funds from my sales on that site. Now I can look forward to spending more on 2019 items that catch my eye!

But, I will be looking to trade for some of the stuff you guys/gals purchased...

RE: Saved a ton of money on Black Friday...by not buying
2018 was the year I drew a line of demarcation in the sand and didn't buy anything from this year and don't plan on buying new products moving forward.

Working on pulling Upper Deck Heroes autographs of Ted Williams, Nolan Ryan, Hank Aaron, etc. That stuff is so cheap now! I bought a sealed case of 1991 UD High series for $100. I'm only 8 boxes into it!
All-time favorite insert card designs:

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  4. 1993 Ultra Award Winners
  5. 2001 Bowman Heritage Chrome
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

The last box/packs I bought was a 2017 Heritage case for baseball. I did get some Prizm and Optic football and basketball last year but since then I've bought 0. Since then every product has been massively overpriced so only singles for me. COMC and ebay have gotten a lot of my $$$ and I feel sooo much better about my purchases.

This was the first year since 2011 that Blowout didn't get a Black Friday order from me. I've been picking up occasional retail blasters here and there, but 2018 has been a real downturn year for me, due in part to less excitement over the 2018 cards, but mostly to being a responsible parent/husband facing unexpected lower income and the desire to keep the family housed and fed. Smile
I'm sure if money was flowing, I'd still find something to pique my card interest. Needless to say, hoping 2019 will be a better year for cardboard and income.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(11-24-2018, 10:10 PM)pjrussell529 Wrote: COMC and ebay have gotten a lot of my $$$ and I feel sooo much better about my purchases.
Cool. I bought over $250 Beckett value for less than $70 the past two days, and none of the $70 came out of pocket. It does feel better this way rather than hoping for something good...but I do miss ripping a bit.

(11-24-2018, 10:58 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Needless to say, hoping 2019 will be a better year for cardboard and income.
I hope that for you too, Doc!

I didn't buy anything on black Friday either. I do have my budget every year for bowman, bowman draft, bowman chrome, heritage, since I do make those sets. I do have some budget for some high end products, but shifting more and more every year to vintage. I will get some dynasty and try my luck on one great looking product, but that won't be on sale.

(11-24-2018, 10:58 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Needless to say, hoping 2019 will be a better year for cardboard and income.
Lots of people are feeling the pinch. Here's to a better year all around for everybody.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

I had to hold myself back on a number of boxes, but still managed to spend way more than I should've. I started a few days early with some of the deals getting put out. My first big purchase was 2 cases of 2015 Contenders baseball, as they have a great line-up with Bregman, Benindenti, Judge, Gleyber Torres, Mejia and more early autos possible. I have actually opened a bunch of this product over the last 2 years and have been pretty happy with it overall, so this time I bought 2 cases as the price was too good to pass up.
My next order was just a few random boxes that I like opening:
2017 Topps Gallery, 2017 Topps Fire, 2015 Panini USA Baseball Set, 2013 Panini USA Baseball Set, 2018 Panini Stars and Stripes, along with some football boxes
I followed that up with a bunch of basketball and these 2 baseball boxes:
2018 Topps Update (PLUS 1 Silver Pack!), 2018 Bowman Chrome
Then another order of mostly basketball along with 2 more boxes of 2018 Panini USA Stars & Stripes

I managed to hold back on buying any higher end products, but some of the deals on Immaculate and National Treasures almost got my money. I also almost grabbed a case of 2008 Razor Signature, as they have the earliest Mike Stanton autos and I usually can flip the boxes if I decide not to open them. However I decided to hold off, as I had already spent a bunch and had to fly overseas (didn't want my credit card company putting any holds on my account just before going).
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/