`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Starting to Collect Earnhardt Sr.

Starting to Collect Earnhardt Sr.
While I am an avid NASCAR fan, I have not actively been collecting any NASCAR cards.

As a child my family went to many races. I became a big fan of Earnhardt Sr. I collected baseball/football cards as a child and my dad collected every release/variation that Maxx race cards put out. (He also did tip his toe into other brands but definitely anything Maxx.) In the 90's I started to collect Dale Earnhardt Sr. cards. I did this through middle school and even early high school.

As I got to be a junior/senior in high school and went off to college my social life was more interesting then collecting. Eventually my mom and dad ended up moving to a different house and I had to clean up some of my stuff from my childhood. One of the things I sold off were my cards. Including my Dale Earnhardt Sr. collection.

While in college Dale Earnhardt Sr. passed away. (Devastating day.) Graduated from college, got an apartment, started to settle down with one girl, drinking become less fun, and I needed a hobby. Went back to my roots and started to collecting cards again. That was 14ish years ago.

Around the same time I really started to watch NASCAR on a weekly basis. (During college I would catch the highlights but I didn't spend hours watching it.) There have been drivers I like more than others but I never really had a desire to collect any single driver.

I was at a show a few months back, and there was a dealer selling some older racing cards and they were very inexpensive. I decided to purchase every Earnhardt Sr. card that he had. I came home, loaded them all in top loaders and put them in a box. I have spent some time since then looking at them, reading the backs of them, and remembering collecting those cards as a child.

This has revived my desire to collect Sr. cards again. I have decided I am going to try to collect as many Dale Earnhardt Sr. cards as I can. For me part of the fun is the hunt and meeting other collectors. I very rarely will buy a card online. I get mine at shows, local card shops, or through trades. (I will trade online.)

I have added Earnhardt Sr. to my wants in organize. (I have very few.) If anyone has any that they would like to trade check out my organize. Maybe we can work out a deal.

As a side note. I am a player collector. Typically for the players I collect in football or baseball I create a collection in Beckett organize and I search on the players name. I add the play to my organize. The cards I have I enter into the organize. I flag them as keep 1, have 1, want 0, trade away 0, trade for 0. If I have multiple of the same card I will flag it as Keep 1, have 2, want 0, trade away 1, trade for 0. If I don't have a card I flag it as keep 0, have, 0 want 1, trade away 0, trade for 1.
Then throughout the year I will search 2018 Jerry Rice and I will add the cards that aren't part of my organize. I mark them using the above sequence. This allows the cards I need to be flagged when working on a trade.

Alright, I explained all of that to ask this. I don't really want the die cast cars. They are cool, but there are so many of them and they take up so much space. I really only want to add the cards. When I initially loaded the Earnhardt Sr. it listed all of the cards first and at the end it listed the die cast cars. I just left off the end when I added it to my organize. However, if I search 2018 Dale Earnhardt Sr. to add new cards to my organize, and to my want list, it filters awful. I get Jr cards, I get die cast and the cars are mixed in with the cards.

I am curious of others have experienced this and if anyone has a good work around?

Gracias!
Paul Goldschmidt: 634 Total Cards, 339 Different
Joe Montana: 325 Total Cards, 267 Different
Jerry Rice: 685 Total Cards, 618 Different
Steve Young: 942 Total Cards, 742 Different

RE: Starting to Collect Earnhardt Sr.
(11-02-2018, 07:26 AM)wilsonsportscards Wrote: While I am an avid NASCAR fan, I have not actively been collecting any NASCAR cards.

As a child my family went to many races. I became a big fan of Earnhardt Sr. I collected baseball/football cards as a child and my dad collected every release/variation that Maxx race cards put out. (He also did tip his toe into other brands but definitely anything Maxx.) In the 90's I started to collect Dale Earnhardt Sr. cards. I did this through middle school and even early high school.

As I got to be a junior/senior in high school and went off to college my social life was more interesting then collecting. Eventually my mom and dad ended up moving to a different house and I had to clean up some of my stuff from my childhood. One of the things I sold off were my cards. Including my Dale Earnhardt Sr. collection.

While in college Dale Earnhardt Sr. passed away. (Devastating day.) Graduated from college, got an apartment, started to settle down with one girl, drinking become less fun, and I needed a hobby. Went back to my roots and started to collecting cards again. That was 14ish years ago.

Around the same time I really started to watch NASCAR on a weekly basis. (During college I would catch the highlights but I didn't spend hours watching it.) There have been drivers I like more than others but I never really had a desire to collect any single driver.

I was at a show a few months back, and there was a dealer selling some older racing cards and they were very inexpensive. I decided to purchase every Earnhardt Sr. card that he had. I came home, loaded them all in top loaders and put them in a box. I have spent some time since then looking at them, reading the backs of them, and remembering collecting those cards as a child.

This has revived my desire to collect Sr. cards again. I have decided I am going to try to collect as many Dale Earnhardt Sr. cards as I can. For me part of the fun is the hunt and meeting other collectors. I very rarely will buy a card online. I get mine at shows, local card shops, or through trades. (I will trade online.)

I have added Earnhardt Sr. to my wants in organize. (I have very few.) If anyone has any that they would like to trade check out my organize. Maybe we can work out a deal.

As a side note. I am a player collector. Typically for the players I collect in football or baseball I create a collection in Beckett organize and I search on the players name. I add the play to my organize. The cards I have I enter into the organize. I flag them as keep 1, have 1, want 0, trade away 0, trade for 0. If I have multiple of the same card I will flag it as Keep 1, have 2, want 0, trade away 1, trade for 0. If I don't have a card I flag it as keep 0, have, 0 want 1, trade away 0, trade for 1.
Then throughout the year I will search 2018 Jerry Rice and I will add the cards that aren't part of my organize. I mark them using the above sequence. This allows the cards I need to be flagged when working on a trade.

Alright, I explained all of that to ask this. I don't really want the die cast cars. They are cool, but there are so many of them and they take up so much space. I really only want to add the cards. When I initially loaded the Earnhardt Sr. it listed all of the cards first and at the end it listed the die cast cars. I just left off the end when I added it to my organize. However, if I search 2018 Dale Earnhardt Sr. to add new cards to my organize, and to my want list, it filters awful. I get Jr cards, I get die cast and the cars are mixed in with the cards.

I am curious of others have experienced this and if anyone has a good work around?

Gracias!
First, the workaround. When you search for Earnhardt, on the left side of the listings are further filters. Scroll down to Players and click beside Dale Sr.'s name and then click Apply below that. That should give you only the cards without Jr.'s name in the description. Except that ALL of Dale Jr's 2018 Victory Lane cards got linked to Senior. The other filters in the list can help weed out cars and such too. Extra tip for you: Don't bother searching for Sr. cards in Panini products. They don't have the rights to make cards of him. So there is nothing for him after 2015.
Does Beckett even list any 2018 die-cast cars? They stopped adding to the die-cast list around 2011 or 2012 and I didn't think they had added any since then.

I still have quite a few Dale Sr. cards to trade, including some that Beckett doesn't list. I also have some from the action haul that I have not listed on here. I know I have a complete set of the Mom-n-Pops Country Ham 1991 set. If you want the fun and nostalgia of pulling some of his cards again, I have plenty of unopened products for sell from the early 90's that are just loaded with cards of him. Plus it would give you some old trade bait to get more of his cards.

Adam, thanks for the reply. The filter was very helpful. I think I was getting some older die cast cars. I am not sure why they were coming up in my filter. Like I said, I haven't really been collecting racing cards. I didn't realize the change with Panini not having the licensing for new Earnhardt cards. There probably won't be much to add. Smile

I pulled a whole bunch for you today. I'll get them listed after I get them sorted. Check my break thread for '92 Maxx Black.

I like, keep pulling. Smile

(11-05-2018, 07:38 AM)wilsonsportscards Wrote: I like, keep pulling. Smile
TO returned and a PM sent about licensed cards Beckett doesn't list that will be included.

Thanks!