`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2002 TOPPS 206 Tris Speaker TR-TS CORK GAME-USED

2002 TOPPS 206 Tris Speaker TR-TS CORK GAME-USED
Been sitting on this one for quite sometime. Bought a case of the 2002 Topps 206's back in 2002. Pulled the Tris Speaker TR-TS card myself and to my surprise the slice of game used bat had some wood and another substance that looks a lot like cork! I sent the card into Beckett for grading and because it was enclosed in the larger card they could not determine nor seems to eager to say cork and did a general grading. Beckett did reach out to Topps to verify that the bat was sourced from a family member of Tris Speaker.

Anyone ever see anything like this? I've been collecting for over 40 years and never seen a Game-Used card with this big of a question mark.Link to Pictures of card below.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/...K9E1pZnCQp

Love thoughts or feedback on who might be able to provide additional insight or who I should contact next?

-Don

RE: 2002 TOPPS 206 Tris Speaker TR-TS CORK GAME-USED
Well as a carpenter of 40 years we use cork to fill lag holes in log homes so I have seen my share. It looks like cork to me, but that being said the source is a family member and it is not being passed off as game used so I hope no one over reacts. After all I remember a bat card from Pacific that cost them a license back in 99 or 2000 (Ramirez if I recall) enjoy the card, great conversation piece

It was a Manny Ramirez card in 2000 that gave Pacific a black eye. Here's the story:

https://www.cardboardconnection.com/trut...d-bat-card
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(08-29-2018, 07:07 AM)zeprock Wrote: It was a Manny Ramirez card in 2000 that gave Pacific a black eye. Here's the story:

https://www.cardboardconnection.com/trut...d-bat-card
Pacific going out of business was one of the best things to ever happen to this hobby!
All-time favorite insert card designs:

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  4. 1993 Ultra Award Winners
  5. 2001 Bowman Heritage Chrome
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

(08-30-2018, 01:41 PM)jack pfiester Wrote: Pacific going out of business was one of the best things to ever happen to this hobby!
Whoa. Them be some fighting words mr, lol but I love the pacific stuff. Way ahead of themselves with the sps, #d, inserts, premiere dates, plat blue, green, gold, topps is just copying what they did 18-21 years ago
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

(08-30-2018, 02:22 PM)elberson Wrote: Whoa. Them be some fighting words mr, lol but I love the pacific stuff. Way ahead of themselves with the sps, #d, inserts, premiere dates, plat blue, green, gold, topps is just copying what they did 18-21 years ago
LOVED Pacific.
I'm always open to trading.  My wants are varied (multiple sets from 1980 to now and some misc. players) and all my wants are marked.  Open offers welcome!

Trade Scans

They operated out of Lynnwood, WA and followed them very closely since I lived in the area also. Rumor has it most of the high end cards went out the back door.
Fleer and Score/Pinnacle going out of business was a tragedy! Smile
All-time favorite insert card designs:

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  4. 1993 Ultra Award Winners
  5. 2001 Bowman Heritage Chrome
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars