`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Player most deserving of HOF

RE: Player most deserving of HOF
Sosa was fun to watch (and a PC guy) but I am not sure he is HOF worthy. Too many bad games.
Bonds should be in based on consistent performance, even before he bulked up.
A-Rod is another guy that had way too many slumps to deserve the Hall.

(07-18-2018, 12:14 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Sosa was fun to watch (and a PC guy) but I am not sure he is HOF worthy. Too many bad games.
Bonds should be in based on consistent performance, even before he bulked up.
A-Rod is another guy that had way too many slumps to deserve the Hall.
ARod 3,000 hits 600 HR's. How many other players have those numbers?

(07-18-2018, 01:08 PM)Jlcarter Wrote: ARod 3,000 hits 600 HR's. How many other players have those numbers?
I know...I just remember him getting booed in Texas and in New York for a while due to his lack of hitting.

Between Arod, Clemens. And Bonds .... Barry Bonds certainly was HOF material back when he played for the Pirates. After he crushed every ball thrown to him in San Fran he was still kinda impressive. The guy hardly struck out, and he walked a ton. Like I say, even on 'roids, you still have to hit the ball. I could 'roid my butt off and never hit like Bonds. A-Rod was a great hitter and great shortstop/3rd base, but Bonds was a better hitter and was an outstanding outfielder. Clemens? Not sure. I feel that 'roids benefited a pitcher more so than a hitter. Just my opinion.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(07-18-2018, 11:41 AM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: Who is John Franco and what was so special about him?

So I looked up John Franco and Lee Smith: Smith - 478 Saves Franco 424 Saves. Smith ERA 3.03 - Franco ERA 2.89 Smith WAR 29 Franco WAR 23.5 Smith - .97 SO per Inning Pitched Franco - .783 SO per inning Pitched. Smith - 1.26 innings per appearance Franco - 1.11 innings per appearance.
John Franco was the all-time saves leader when Lee Smith broke his record! I don't think either one should get in.

How does Dan Quisenberry compare to Smith and Franco?
All-time favorite insert card designs:

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  4. 1993 Ultra Award Winners
  5. 2001 Bowman Heritage Chrome
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

(07-18-2018, 08:21 PM)jack pfiester Wrote: John Franco was the all-time saves leader when Lee Smith broke his record! I don't think either one should get in.

How does Dan Quisenberry compare to Smith and Franco?
JK...I know full well who John Franco is. We can always debate the merits of this or that player, that's what makes baseball the greatest game ever!!! I don't compare players not in verses those who are, players need to be judged against the compitition they faced. Until I saw your post, I cannot remember the last time I saw or heard the name John Franco.....not taking anything away from him, but I still hear references to Lee Smith. Just my 2 cents right or wrong. Hard to compare AL vs NL pitchers (Dan Q) different game needing different strategies due to the DH. AL pitchers stats get inflated because of the extra hitter.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(07-18-2018, 08:37 PM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: JK...I know full well who John Franco is. We can always debate the merits of this or that player, that's what makes baseball the greatest game ever!!! I don't compare players not in verses those who are, players need to be judged against the compitition they faced. Until I saw your post, I cannot remember the last time I saw or heard the name John Franco.....not taking anything away from him, but I still hear references to Lee Smith. Just my 2 cents right or wrong. Hard to compare AL vs NL pitchers (Dan Q) different game needing different strategies due to the DH. AL pitchers stats get inflated because of the extra hitter.
The problem with Lee Smith is if he got elected what cap would he wear? Cubs? Red Sox? Cardinals?

The only thing I remember about Lee Smith is giving up the game tying HR to Fred McGriff in the 1994 AS Game!

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

(07-16-2018, 12:08 AM)bamyanks Wrote: None of them, and even along with Pete Rose, none of the 4 get in.
+1
Topps Master Set Builder, Dodgers and Mike Piazza Collector as well.

(07-18-2018, 09:42 PM)jason32rich Wrote: +1
Oh, I'm certain The Hit King will be inducted ... just not when he's around to be at the ceremony. I'm sure that there's a plaque already made and waiting for the eventuality of the posthumous induction.
As far as Bonds/Clemens/ARod go, I'm not sure how the new journalists will vote after they replace the older journalists. They could be numb to the whole PED-thing or they could be vehemently opposed. Who knows? Time will tell.
PS: Lee Smith put up amazing numbers. It doesn't matter that he toured the leagues. That just proves that his arm was always in demand. He even pitched a few innings in pinstripes, so maybe he'll choose to go in as a Yankee Smile
I agree that after Mariano is inducted, other relievers will start to get the Call to the Hall. Besides, the roll of The Closer has never been as emphasized as much before as in the last dozen seasons. A great bullpen almost guarantees a place at the playoffs and the roll is almost as prestigious as a rotation starter. The 300 win threshold will probably not be as important as in the past for induction. IMO
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(07-19-2018, 06:23 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Oh, I'm certain The Hit King will be inducted ... just not when he's around to be at the ceremony. I'm sure that there's a plaque already made and waiting for the eventuality of the posthumous induction.
As far as Bonds/Clemens/ARod go, I'm not sure how the new journalists will vote after they replace the older journalists. They could be numb to the whole PED-thing or they could be vehemently opposed. Who knows? Time will tell.
PS: Lee Smith put up amazing numbers. It doesn't matter that he toured the leagues. That just proves that his arm was always in demand. He even pitched a few innings in pinstripes, so maybe he'll choose to go in as a Yankee Smile
I agree that after Mariano is inducted, other relievers will start to get the Call to the Hall. Besides, the roll of The Closer has never been as emphasized as much before as in the last dozen seasons. A great bullpen almost guarantees a place at the playoffs and the roll is almost as prestigious as a rotation starter. The 300 win threshold will probably not be as important as in the past for induction. IMO
I agree more closers will, and should get elected in the future like Billy Wagner and Craig Kimbrel for sure.

Not sure how SP's will be measured in future generations, it certainly isn't going to be wins. Heck 200 wins is an unattainable milestone for SP's of this era. Verlander sits at 197...

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars