Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Card Identification?

Card Identification?
Hello Collector's,

Having a little trouble identifying a couple of cards. First is the 96 CE Pres. Res. TimeWarp #NNO Payton/White. This is the listing in the price guide. I think the is the one but I'm confused on the #4 on the upper right corner back side. Am I too dumb and is the pictured card the one that's listed?
Secondly, I have to of the Barry Sanders CE Advantage Video Die Cuts V18. However, on the back of mine there is no Serial Number (image attached also). Are the one's I have a variation/error/promo card that isn't listed in the price guide.
Thanks for any input. Plus as I have about 100k cards to eventually sort through I will have more ID issues to address.
Kenny

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RE: Card Identification?
I think the first two are right, but the last one may be a promo. Hopefully someone who knows the 90's cards better will hop on and confirm.

I never did like those Time Warp cards. I have some in my PC because of who is on them, but I am not a fan.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

(05-22-2018, 06:46 PM)jonathani Wrote: I never did like those Time Warp cards. I have some in my PC because of who is on them, but I am not a fan.
Funny, cause I actually liked them a lot when they came out and still do somewhat. I really like the basketball ones that were autographed. However some definitely don't look right when the time periods are so far different, but others they did a great job with the photo editing, and I like them a lot.

As for the original questions:
1) The TimeWarp is just mis-listed as NNO in Beckett.
2) The Video card is most likely a hold-back that got into the market after CE filed for bankruptcy. It isn't a promo as CE did a great job with marking their promo cards with the word "PROMO" on the back. The holdback makes sense as it would've been used for either a reference or to be held as a replacement for a damaged card and thus wouldn't have been serial numbered. It is also possible that it's a printing error where it simply missed the serial numbering process before going into a pack. It would be impossible to know whether it's a holdback or printing mistake unless you were to remember pulling it from a pack.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I agree with djohn on the second point. Before release CE released a promo back of President's Reserve. I want to say it was by writing in or maybe sending wrappers of other CE products to get it. But it came with a base Junior Seau, a jumbo Seau, an Eagles draft pick card that would be a redemption in the live product, some insert with Rashaan Salaam insert, and maybe one more. But they were all clearly labeled with "PROMO" on the back.

Thank you for the replies. As for the TimeWarp card the confirmation so far is what I suspected that it probably listed as NNO in error. As for the Sanders Video Die Cut maybe I'll never know for sure. No biggie though, I was just curious. As this card has some potential high value with the Serial Number, what if this card without the Serial Number turns out to be a flop, or ends up like the Topps Frank Thomas No Name on front card?
Thanks again.

The Video Die Cut won't end up like the Topps Frank Thomas NNOF card, as there is so much history into that card which caused the value to be so high. However the card is most definitely rarer than the one that is serial numbered, unfortunately cards like that don't necessarily translate to higher value. I would consider the value to be inline with the value of the serial numbered one, but you may be able to get a little more for it. There are some collectors that look to buy "proof cards" like that, and since it's a big name player you have a good chance of finding a potential buyer.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(05-23-2018, 11:11 PM)djohn Wrote: The Video Die Cut won't end up like the Topps Frank Thomas NNOF card, as there is so much history into that card which caused the value to be so high. However the card is most definitely rarer than the one that is serial numbered, unfortunately cards like that don't necessarily translate to higher value. I would consider the value to be inline with the value of the serial numbered one, but you may be able to get a little more for it. There are some collectors that look to buy "proof cards" like that, and since it's a big name player you have a good chance of finding a potential buyer.
Thanks djohn,

Appreciate the reply. Didn't know I had the die cuts till a few months ago. Purchased about 50,000 cards sight unseen for $40 from someone moving out of state. Craigslist of all things. Just starting to sort through these. Hell, besides the die cuts, I've found several hundred key star rookie cards from the 70's to present. It was his collection from back in his day and needed it gone ASAP. Timing was right for me. Already netted about $150.

Congrats on flipping stuff! If you come across any Topps Finest football, I would be interesting in trading/buying.