`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What was the first year for stamped buyback cards?
Rainbow 

Was it 2014 or 2015?

What was the stamps?

2017 had rediscover topps

2016 had 65th anniversay

2015 had the topps original.

Did 2014 topps have stamped buyback cards?

If so what were the stamps?

RE: What was the first year for stamped buyback cards?
In 1991 Topps issues buyback cards randomly inserted into packs. The cards were not stamped in any way, so they were indistinguishable from the regular card. In 2011 Topps had the Million Card Giveaway, where you could pull a card from a pack with a code to enter online. The code would then reveal a card that you could then have shipped to you. Those cards weren't stamped either.
In 2012 Topps Heritage did stamped buybacks of 1963 Topps cards. These were stamped as 50th Anniversary '63-'12, as shown below.
[Image: 8516447055219031206.jpg]

In 2013 Topps had 75th Anniversary BuyBacks inserted with a stamp on each card, this was to celebrate Topps 75th anniversary as a company. They did more than just baseball and actually made a box called Topps 75th with buybacks across several non-sports sets. Here is an example of one of the baseball cards.
[Image: 91106-10202912Fr.jpg]
This made it somewhat confusing for some in 2016 when Topps did the 65th Anniversary stamp, and I am sure years from now will cause even more confusion for someone trying to determine when the 75th Anniversary stamp came out.

I'm not sure if they made any stamped buybacks prior to 2012.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

In 2001, Donruss had slabbed cards from BGS as buyback cards. You could get a Donruss card from the 80's slabbed as a BGS 7-9 or similar.

The next year, they started up the recollection collection, so unless I'm forgetting something, it is 2002.

In 2000 however, SP had buybacks that were hand numbered with a hologram on the backs of the cards.
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME! Smile
www.TanManBaseballFan.com
Do you have rare Jose Canseco cards? Let me know!
Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict

Great point Mouschi, I was so focused on Topps that I didn't think about the other manufacturers. I should've remembered the others, as I started a collection of the 2001 Donruss buyback cards. By the
way, they weren't all BGS 7-9, as I have seen some 9.5's as well as some 6's. There was also no markings on the card itself to identify it as a buyback. The only indication was on the BGS label itself. They also made autographed versions, which I believe were serial numbered.
The Recollection Collection and SP Buybacks were all autographs. The SP buybacks had a UDA sticker on the card and a matching COA card to go with them, and typically had a hand written serial number representing the number of autographs for that card. The Donruss Recollection cards had a "Recollection Collection" stamped embossing as well as machine-printed serial numbering. This helped distinguish the cards from any other after-market autographed cards.

Now if you really want to get technical, Score Board actually did stamped buyback cards during the mid to late 90s. They used an embossed stamp to mark the cards. While Score Board was mostly football and basketball, they did do some baseball and mixed sport sets which included buyback cards.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/