`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QUESTION About Magnetic Holders and Auto's.....

QUESTION About Magnetic Holders and Auto's.....
Just curious as to how everyone uses them. Does everyone use the exact size holder for the size of the card or go bigger? For example, do you put a 130 pt card in a 130 pt holder or do you go a size larger?

I like the idea of the card not moving in the holder but at the same time I wonder about long term storage, especially with autos. Do you think having the cover in contact with the auto is safe over the long run? Or should you go a size bigger so that the cover isn't in constant contact with the auto?

I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on this.

Thanks! Mike

RE: QUESTION About Magnetic Holders and Auto's.....
I store all my auto's in a 55pt holder INSTEAD of a 35pt. MY reason is I want to ensure nothing is touching my autograph, that may, 10 years down the road, pull some of the ink off the card. I also like it because there is no soft sleeve to remove the ink which is a common occurrence with long term storage. As for moving, once my cards are stored, they are stored and occasionally are looked at. At that time I know the holder is bigger and handle the card appropriately.
Will always be looking for 2012 or 2013 Panini Cooperstown Signatures for the two sets I'm building-Will trade in your favor--will ship first--Thanks

(02-18-2018, 03:19 PM)happy14027 Wrote: MY reason is I want to ensure nothing is touching my autograph, that may, 10 years down the road, pull some of the ink off the card.
That's my concern as well. Thanks for the input.

I've thought about that same thing in the past. Then I stopped thinking about it when I figured that the cards will outlast me, no matter the storage. Smile Smile
The only autos that I ever 'lost' were due to the ink and material that were used. Sweetspot 'ball cards' of Adam Dunn and Dan Haren have faded, not due to any storage issues.
Lucite is relatively inert and I believe the magnetic holders are lucite-like or fairly close ... besides, Ultra Pro has a pretty good rep in the archival world as far as I've heard throughout my years as a comicbook collector.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(02-21-2018, 01:13 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: I've thought about that same thing in the past. Then I stopped thinking about it when I figured that the cards will outlast me, no matter the storage. Smile Smile
The only autos that I ever 'lost' were due to the ink and material that were used. Sweetspot 'ball cards' of Adam Dunn and Dan Haren have faded, not due to any storage issues.
Lucite is relatively inert and I believe the magnetic holders are lucite-like or fairly close ... besides, Ultra Pro has a pretty good rep in the archival world as far as I've heard throughout my years as a comicbook collector.
Yeah I have only bought ultra pro until I got my shipment of pro-mold today. They have some in between sizes that ultra pro doesn't have. They seem to be quality holders.

(02-22-2018, 11:03 PM)mgruber2 Wrote: Yeah I have only bought ultra pro until I got my shipment of pro-mold today. They have some in between sizes that ultra pro doesn't have. They seem to be quality holders.
I've used pro mold. They are quality holders as well.
Barry Larkin - 1781 different
Joey Votto jersey numbered cards - 283