`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it worth investing in heliot ramos?

Is it worth investing in heliot ramos?
His cards seem to be going thru the roof lately...is he worth investing in before the prices get out of hand?

RE: Is it worth investing in heliot ramos?
Buyer beware. Does the name Tomas ring a bell?
Seriously, I have no idea. Collect what you like, prospect what you are willing to risk.

Investing is all about risk vs reward. The risk with any prospect is HUGE, but so can the reward if you get in early enough. Personally I try to stay clear of buying prospect cards of players that have already taken off in value, but that it's purely on speculation (i.e. the player hasn't done anything to justify the value). This can sometimes be due to some people pumping up the value or someone simply buying up everything they can of a specific player. If you are going to get into buying prospects, then be sure to do a lot of research and not just look for what player is currently selling well.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(02-02-2018, 07:48 AM)djohn Wrote: Investing is all about risk vs reward. The risk with any prospect is HUGE, but so can the reward if you get in early enough. Personally I try to stay clear of buying prospect cards of players that have already taken off in value, but that it's purely on speculation (i.e. the player hasn't done anything to justify the value). This can sometimes be due to some people pumping up the value or someone simply buying up everything they can of a specific player. If you are going to get into buying prospects, then be sure to do a lot of research and not just look for what player is currently selling well.
Agreed!
Case in point, a few years ago everyone was going nuts for top pitching prospect Mark Appeal ... his EEE auto was going through the roof on spec that he was the next Cy Young ... I won a card of his, so it didn't cost me anything to keep it. But, I'm sure all those 'savvy investor/prospectors' are kicking themselves now that he announced his indefinite leave of baseball. He never lived up to expectations. In fact, its probably safe to say, most prospects seldom live up to expectations.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Prospecting is a risky business, just the Gold Rush of 1849..

Could loss your shirt or make a mint..

Since he is a Giant..I like the cards I have pulled of his.!!

I generally stay away from all first round high school draftees, at least for the first couple years. They'll generally lose a little value after the first season or two, and if they are still proving themselves by the time they hit 20-21, most times you can still get them for decent prices.

I try to stick to players that have at least a year or two of college before being drafted.

Oh and I stay AWAY from prospecting pitchers like the plague. Too many variables when it comes to pitchers, and a lot of the high drafted ones end up having TJ surgery within a year. I've seen way too many pitchers drafted in the top 15 become relievers and never ever realize star status, let alone super star that you need a pitcher to be for his cards to be worth much.
[Image: Evil_Dead2.gif]

(02-02-2018, 07:48 AM)djohn Wrote: The risk with any prospect is HUGE.

(02-02-2018, 10:51 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: In fact, its probably safe to say, most prospects seldom live up to expectations.
Just watch your habits and don't get too fully invested. It's fun but can quickly get expen$ive.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

I dont know but i hope so I pulled his 2017 Bowman Best Auto tonight
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

If you want long term investment buy high grade key vintage.
Collecting Vintage OPC and older oddball and food issues as well as Maple Leafs.

Enjoy the hobby at it's purest form, treat it as you did as a kid.