`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1993 Topps Black Gold Winner Redemption Cards ???

1993 Topps Black Gold Winner Redemption Cards ???
So I have three 1993 Topps Black Gold Winner Redemption Cards that were never redeemed. I have been trying to figure out what the going market rate is to sell these cards, they are pristine by the way.
The more I started looking into it the more confused I got.
I've seen discussions about different foils, errors on the backs, etc.
What I have is the following:

1) 1993 ToppsBlackGold Winner B:
The front of this card shows a picture of 11 ToppsBlackGold cards:
Greg Maddux is the upper left hand picture.
On the back the card lists the cards you have won if you redeem the card. It lists:
12. Greg Maddux 13. Fred McGriff 14. Joe Oliver... and so on. The names and order match the pictures on the front of the card.
The bottom of the card has small coppyright text

2) 1993 ToppsBlackGold Winner C
Barry Bonds is in the upper left hand picture.
On the back the card lists the cards you have won if you redeem the card. It lists:
23. Roberto Alomar 24.Brady Anderson 25. Carlos Baerga... and so on with the last being 33. Ken Griffey Jr.
As I mentioned on the front of the card Barry Bonds is in the upper left hand corner. In fact none of the players mentioned on the back are included in the pictures on the front. Instead the pictures on the front are:
BARRY BONDS, WILL CLARK, DARREN DAULTON, ANDRE DAWSON, DELINO DESHIELDS, TOM GLAVINE, MARQUIS GRISSOM, TONY GWYNN, ERIC KARROS, RAY LANKFORD, BARRY LARKIN
These seem to be the pictures that are supposed to be on the Winner A card. So this card says Winner C, it lists the winner C players on the back, but has the Winner A players pictured on the front.
The bottom of the card has no copyright information but has the date 12/28/92 printed on the lower left corner.

and,

3) 1993 ToppsBlackGold Winner D
Greg Maddux is the upper left hand picture.
34. Brian Harper 35. Pat Listach... and so on with the last player listed being 44. Dave Winfield
As I mentioned on the front of the card Greg Maddux is in the upper left hand corner. In fact none of the players mentioned on the back are included in the pictures on the front. Instead the pictures on the front are:
GREG MADDUX, JOE OLIVER, TERRY PENDELTON, BIP ROBERTS, RYNE SANDBERG, GARY SHEFFIELD, LEE SMITH, OZZIE SMITH, ANDY VAN SLYKE, and LARRY WALKER
These seem to be the pictures that are supposed to be on the Winner B card, and are in fact on the first card I listed, my Winner B card.
So this card says Winner D, it lists the winner D players on the back, but has the Winner B players pictured on the front.
The bottom of the card has no copyright information but has the date 12/28/92 printed on the lower left corner

Does anyone know if these are rare? Valuable? Reference sources I could check to determine if these are errors and if they are valuable? Photos are attached
Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RE: 1993 Topps Black Gold Winner Redemption Cards ???
I don't think these are rare, they were just not redeemed. I could be mistaken, but I don't think they're worth much if anything. I'm going to check myself, but I think this is right.

Okay, I checked and here is how. I went up to the top and checked the button by Pricing; next field to the right pick Baseball; and then type 1993 Topps Black Gold where it says "Type card...and so on".

Black gold cards should come up, and down at the end of the list it has various of the cards you have listed. If I'm remembering right, they may be worth anywhere $1.50 to $8. A little value, but I'm guessing not as much as you think.

Hope this helps.
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

Yeah, I have a couple and they aren't too rare. I just keep them for the memories of a different time in collecting.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

(01-07-2018, 03:21 AM)bamyanks Wrote: I don't think these are rare, they were just not redeemed. I could be mistaken, but I don't think they're worth much if anything. I'm going to check myself, but I think this is right.

Okay, I checked and here is how. I went up to the top and checked the button by Pricing; next field to the right pick Baseball; and then type 1993 Topps Black Gold where it says "Type card...and so on".

Black gold cards should come up, and down at the end of the list it has various of the cards you have listed. If I'm remembering right, they may be worth anywhere $1.50 to $8. A little value, but I'm guessing not as much as you think.

Hope this helps.
Hi and thanks!
I had checked that myself and have checked on eBay. These cards actually do have some value as you mentioned. But those reference points don't say anything about cards with pictures that don't match the players that should be shown on the card. That's my specific question. Not about 1993 Topps Black Gold Winner redemption cards in general but specifically about the ones that do not have the right pictures on the front of the card.

I would expect that there is one of two answers:

Answer 1)
Topps just printed them randomly. So for instance they printed a Winner D card that said "Winner D" in the lower right hand corner and listed the group D players on the back. If redeemed the players in group D listed on the back are the cards you would receive. Then, in this scenario, they just randomly printed the fronts with the pictures of players in group A, B, C, or D onto all the Winner A, B, C, or D cards. They made no effort to match the Winner card's group letter with the group letter of the players printed on the front of that card. i.e. Some group D Winner cards would randomly have the Group D players printed on the front, some would have group A, some would have group B, and some would have group C. In that case there would be nothing rare about the cards with group B players pictured on a group D winner card.

Answer 2)
Topps meant to print these winner cards such that the group of players pictured on the card actually matched the group of players belonging to the winning group represented by the card. i.e. The group A winner cards would have the group A players printed on the front, the group B winner cards would have group B players printed on the front and so forth for groups C and D. In that case, cards with pictures on the front that do not match the group represented by the card would be errors and would presumably be rare.

I find scenario 1 hard to believe. In addition to the fact that it just doesn't make sense (why make a card with a layout of a specific group of players and then print them on a card that has the group letter and names of a different group of players). Also, it seems more than a coincidence that the cards I have with mismatched pictures are also the ones that don't have the typical copyright information printed on them but the cards I have in which the pictures do match, do have the typical copyright information printed on them.

Now, even if they are errors and are rare it doesn't necessarily make them valuable. If no one really cares or finds that interesting, which I could certainly understand, then they wouldn't be worth much more if anything more that the cards that matched the right player pictures to the right card.

I even looked at PSA's (sorry) population report.imply tells you how many winner C cards they received for grading and what the grade was. It doesn't delineate matched or mismatched pictures. Does Beckett Grading have some thing like a population report? It may not be useful anyway, but SOMEONE knows the answer to this question.

If you can see the picture I attached, it simply comes down to this:
Is the card on the right an error card? It has pictures and names that do NOT match while the card on the left has pictures and names that do match.
Picture Attached here
Alright, Never mind... I'm an idiot, I misunderstood your answer.

You are absolutely right. They are error cards, as logic would suggest. The funny thing is the error version is the only version, LOL. So all Winner D redemption cards picture players from group B on the front while all Winner C redemption cards picture players from group A on the front.

Case Closed!

Thanks for Your Help!!!!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)