`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many of these early 1990 upper deck autos do you think are still sealed in packs.

RE: How many of these early 1990 upper deck autos do you think are still sealed in packs.
(10-30-2017, 10:12 AM)jack pfiester Wrote: The Williams auto is worth a lot more than $400!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Upper-Deck...SwAVxZvyt4
That is simply the asking price for a graded version. When they sell it's usually between $400-$600.
http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...rmvSB=true

Also, you will likely spend closer to $10/box for 1992 Upper Deck and it will take closer to 150 boxes to find a Williams autograph, so the cost to open boxes and find one is around $1,500, not $400.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

RE: How many of these early 1990 upper deck autos do you think are still sealed in packs.
such an awesome rabbit hole, if I was rich, I'd do it just cause. The funny thing is, say you buy 2-300 boxes and hit one of those autos in the 2nd or 3rd box. Do you keep ripping?
Desert racing baseball card collector? Yeah, that's not weird...

Yes I think there are still alot of these autographs sealed in packs!
All-time favorite insert card designs:

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  4. 1993 Ultra Award Winners
  5. 2001 Bowman Heritage Chrome
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

(10-30-2017, 10:44 AM)djohn Wrote: 40 boxes actually wouldn't be too bad for some of the early 90s autographs. It's probably closer to 1 in 100+ boxes though.
Consider this...card companies were making millions of each card in the late 80s and early 90s. Now the hard part is that Upper Deck made factory sets as well as boxes, so determining exactly how many boxes were made could be difficult. For simplicity's sake, let's just say that Upper Deck made 1 million of every card and half were in sets and the other half in boxes. That would mean 500,000 or each card was issued in boxes. Since there were 2 series (high and low) and the Reggie was only in the high series, let's again assume that it was a 50/50 split on low series distribution between high and low series packs. That means that 250,000 of each low series card was available in high series boxes. Thus the math comes down to the following
Good thing I'm not an accountant Smile
Thanks for the breakdown. But my point and yours are pretty much in the same ballpark. For most of these cards, its probably cheaper and less stressful to just buy the card instead of ripping cases of cards.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(10-30-2017, 10:17 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Good thing I'm not an accountant Smile
Thanks for the breakdown. But my point and yours are pretty much in the same ballpark. For most of these cards, its probably cheaper and less stressful to just buy the card instead of ripping cases of cards.
I have evidence to back that up in the last 20 boxes of 1991 Donruss I've opened! Sad

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

(10-31-2017, 02:14 AM)jack pfiester Wrote: I have evidence to back that up in the last 20 boxes of 1991 Donruss I've opened! Sad
I remember doing the math on finding Elite cards in 1991 Donruss and it came out to something around 1 every 4-5 cases. So it's definitely not cost effective to buy boxes to hunt for them. However spending $5-10 for a box every so often can be fun, whether it's to reminisce over the cards or take a chance at hitting a rare card. It can be more fun than spending $20 for a blaster and getting nothing worth mentioning.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(10-31-2017, 12:02 PM)djohn Wrote: I remember doing the math on finding Elite cards in 1991 Donruss and it came out to something around 1 every 4-5 cases. So it's definitely not cost effective to buy boxes to hunt for them. However spending $5-10 for a box every so often can be fun, whether it's to reminisce over the cards or take a chance at hitting a rare card. It can be more fun than spending $20 for a blaster and getting nothing worth mentioning.
True, and you are guarenteed a bunch of HOF (or near future HOF) hits in those boxes. Smile
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(11-06-2017, 04:28 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: True, and you are guarenteed a bunch of HOF (or near future HOF) hits in those boxes. Smile
Yes indeed! I've had to purchase a 4th jumbo shoe box for my Cooperstown Collection. Bought the 1991-1993 Conlon sets and that added a few hundred cards!

Pulled a 1994 Babe Ruth Color Inserts Prototype but of course it's not in the database!

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

(10-26-2017, 06:03 PM)ckrakowski Wrote: I was just thinking about the 1992 upper deck ted williams auto. There are 2500 of them and it occurred to me that not all of them may have been pulled.
Sorry for raising this thread from the dead, but I thought some might be interested to know that just a couple months ago I pulled a Harmon Killebrew autograph from a 1991 Upper Deck case I ripped. I keep foolishly buying "Find the Nolan" cases with the crazy idea that some day I'll actually find that Nolan, but the Killebrew wasn't a bad find, either.

When I first saw this old thread bumped, I thought, oh great-here we go......

But I feel this bump was justified. Congrats on the pull!
Barry Larkin - 1781 different
Joey Votto jersey numbered cards - 283