Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Selling cards question

Selling cards question
Hi all,

I wanted to get your thoughts on something. Let's say you're breaking a box and looking to land and then sell a hot RC auto or something, when do you determine the best time to sell these cards?

Let's say you pulled a Deshaun Watson RC auto /25 or something that you don't want to keep and would rather sell. Do you try to sell it right now since he's playing well or wait to see if he gets every better?

Thanks!

RE: Selling cards question
Great question! Let me know when you figure it out...LOL.
Seriously, my answer would be either to sell right away before the next wave of rookies come out, or hold for 2-3 years and then sell, hopefully after they prove themselves more than 1 season.
Case in point...Jared Goff was hot last year out of training camp and then cooled off a lot during the season. If the Rams continue to play better, there will be another upswing in prices. So, hurry up or wait it out a couple years would be my advice.

(10-09-2017, 06:49 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Great question! Let me know when you figure it out...LOL.
Seriously, my answer would be either to sell right away before the next wave of rookies come out, or hold for 2-3 years and then sell, hopefully after they prove themselves more than 1 season.
Case in point...Jared Goff was hot last year out of training camp and then cooled off a lot during the season. If the Rams continue to play better, there will be another upswing in prices. So, hurry up or wait it out a couple years would be my advice.

Haha! Awesome advice, thanks very much. I kicked myself last year for selling a $100 Dak auto too early when I could have waited until the end of the season and sold it for $50-$75 more.

+1
Prices are best before they even start preseason for prospects, after they get a starting role if they weren't highly thought of, or after they have some success for a few years. All rookies go for the most their rookie year even if they're actually good and the absolute best time to sell (in their rookie year) is as soon as you can after the product release. The Goff example is a good one here. Very generally speaking of course (AND OF COURSE JUST MY OPINION). There's always a story of the small pool of players bucking this trend.
(10-09-2017, 06:49 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Great question! Let me know when you figure it out...LOL.
ID VIKESRULE on most other trade sites. Don't care about BV if the deal is right.
Cris Carter super collector and die hard Vikings guy!

(10-09-2017, 07:07 PM)footbal Wrote: +1
Prices are best before they even start preseason for prospects, after they get a starting role if they weren't highly thought of, or after they have some success for a few years. All rookies go for the most their rookie year even if they're actually good and the absolute best time to sell (in their rookie year) is as soon as you can after the product release. The Goff example is a good one here. Very generally speaking of course (AND OF COURSE JUST MY OPINION). There's always a story of the small pool of players bucking this trend.
Great advice, thanks so much for your input! I just wanted to reach out and see how peopled handled these things as I have recently started breaking boxes in higher quantities and I never knew if I should sell the hot ones ASAP or hold them.

I think you should trade it to me right now!!!

Could be another RG3 or could be a Brady. Part of the hobby. Have fun with it.

**Looking for certified autos of these 86 Mets: Ojeda, Aguilera, Elster, K. Mitchell, Heep, Sisk, Leach, Niemann, Hearn, Myers, Sid Fernandez and Davey Johnson MGR **  https://www.flickr.com/photos/164322911@N05/albums

(10-10-2017, 02:02 AM)collectorsnet Wrote: I think you should trade it to me right now!!!

Could be another RG3 or could be a Brady. Part of the hobby. Have fun with it.
Good call! Thanks!

In my opinion ,sell now or soon with the hype. My examples are saving the 1998 Ryan Leaf autos I chased down along with Manning. The 2001 Tim Couch cards or worse yet the hype of 2013 Manziel cards. There are way more examples of hot rookies crashing and burning than cards like Tom Brady going up every year. I can't think of many rookies I could not buy back for less than the price at the end of their rookie season . Sell now buy back in 3 years if they are still good enough to put in the PC. In 3 years you weed out the failures and save a bunch of money. Exceptions would be Brady and Aaron Rodgers.
Photobucket

(10-10-2017, 06:25 PM)sparty78 Wrote: In my opinion ,sell now or soon with the hype. My examples are saving the 1998 Ryan Leaf autos I chased down along with Manning. The 2001 Tim Couch cards or worse yet the hype of 2013 Manziel cards. There are way more examples of hot rookies crashing and burning than cards like Tom Brady going up every year. I can't think of many rookies I could not buy back for less than the price at the end of their rookie season . Sell now buy back in 3 years if they are still good enough to put in the PC. In 3 years you weed out the failures and save a bunch of money. Exceptions would be Brady and Aaron Rodgers.
Agreed, thanks very much. Solid examples there! I think I'll go ahead and move forward with the cards I was tentatively holding onto. Much appreciated.

I think you are making the wise decision, as in order to sell something you need a buyer who wants it...and things can change quickly! Just ask that former bench warmer in Cleveland that has greasy fingers he keeps trying to wipe off!! LOL