`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question on 1997 Score parallels

Question on 1997 Score parallels
My Beckett Almanac lists in addition to the 551 card 1997 Score set several parallel sets. Not included here are the Team sets with their parallels.

Artist's Proofs White Border - Parallel series 1 and look identical to the base set with the exception of an Artist's Proof logo on the front. No series 2.

Premium Stock - Series 1 has thicker stock, a gray border and a "Premium Stock" logo on the front. Series 2 has a white border and a "Hobby Reserve" logo on the front.

Reserve Collection - Parallels just series 2 with cards on a thicker foil stock with a screen printing for a raised ink effect and a large gray "Reserve Collection" logo on the back.

Showcase Series - Are silver coated parallel versions of the base set.

Showcase Series Artist's Proofs - Parallel the silver Showcase Series but have a prismatic foil stock with holographic laminate giving it a sparkling look. The also have an Artist's Proof logo on the front.

Now Beckett's OPG lists these:

Artist's Proofs White Border - Same as above.

Hobby Reserve - Listed as a continuation of the second series of the Premium Stock parallel although with a "Hobby Reserve" logo on the front. The number on the back is preceded by an "HR" prefix.

Premium Stock - Same as above series 1 only.

Reserve Collection - Same as above.

Showcase Series -Same as above.

Showcase Series Artist's Proofs - Same as above.

So what's this?

I think it's a Premium Stock judging from the Almanac's description where series 2 has a "Hobby Reserve" logo on the front and white borders. However the OPG doesn't list this. They would list it as a Hobby Reserve parallel but it doesn't have the HR prefix to the number on the back. I have other Hobby Reserve cards that do have the HR prefix. The Hobby Reserve cards have a much higher value than the Premium Stock. If it were the Reserve Collection then it should be on a foil stock with a large gray "Reserve Collection" logo on the back.

I'm confused.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

RE: Question on 1997 Score parallels
Your McGwire is indeed a premium Stock. 1997 Score Parallels are a huge pain. Score changed things between series that year and everyone has been confused since. Beckett at one time did have all cards from both series listed as Premium Stock now they only have series one. I think Beckett should add those card back into the OPG. My Beckett Annual from 2004 has a good description of the Premium Stock, but no mention of Hobby Reserve.

I did some scanning to illustrate the differences and hopefully clear up some of the confusion, since I have been pestering people about the Reserve Collection cards....

1997 Score Base - 551 cards
[Image: aWivU9b.jpg]
[Image: koMSeCr.jpg]

1997 Score Premium Stock Series One (Grey Border) - 330 cards - Premium Stock logo front
[Image: ybj4LXW.jpg]
[Image: RkbXMUC.jpg]

1997 Score Premium Stock Series Two (White Border) - 221 cards - Hobby Reserve logo front - regular number on back
[Image: nvcIFOG.jpg]
[Image: BvJpnNp.jpg]

1997 Score Hobby Reserve - Series two only - 221 cards - Hobby Reserve logo front - HR prefix on the back
[Image: GnegbB6.jpg]
[Image: YytOtOT.jpg]

1997 Score Showcase Series - Both series - 551 cards - Showcase series watermark on the back
[Image: U8cQ1ta.jpg]
[Image: f4oSq4D.jpg]

1997 Score Showcase Series Artist's Proofs Both series - 551 cards
[Image: aTJnKQ7.jpg]
[Image: eoOS1GW.jpg]

1997 Score Artist's Proofs White Border Series one only - 330 cards
[Image: ojljRV7.jpg]
[Image: eoOS1GW.jpg]

1997 Score Reserve Collection Series two only - 221 cards - raised foil front - reserve collection RC watermark on the back
[Image: tmgG5nw.jpg]
[Image: fWYRwab.jpg]

Hope this helps everyone with identifying these and if anyone out there has any Reserve collection Red sox, I am looking for them!
50,000+ Red Sox cards and counting.

just why? this is the stuff that haunts us today.
[Image: Signature_zpsnepr034k.jpg]

I agree with you regale. Back then, that was one year of Score I hated, well let's put it like this, I HATED the product, for the reasons brought up here. To be honest, I like the Gold Rush parallels from 94 and 95, with the 94 being the top favorite.
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

Thanks for confirming Scott and for the scans. I thought I was trading for the Reserve McGwire but got a duplicate Premium Stock and now have no way to list it for trade since the OPG no longer recognizes Premium Stock cards from the second series. Grrr.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I usually love parallels, but that is super confusing.

(09-09-2017, 12:44 AM)bamyanks Wrote: I agree with you regale. Back then, that was one year of Score I hated, well let's put it like this, I HATED the product, for the reasons brought up here. To be honest, I like the Gold Rush parallels from 94 and 95, with the 94 being the top favorite.
YES. Gold Rush cards were so great back in the day.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

1994 gold rush! One of the best insert sets of all time
Barry Larkin - 1781 different
Joey Votto jersey numbered cards - 283

(09-09-2017, 03:17 PM)zeprock Wrote: Thanks for confirming Scott and for the scans. I thought I was trading for the Reserve McGwire but got a duplicate Premium Stock and now have no way to list it for trade since the OPG no longer recognizes Premium Stock cards from the second series. Grrr.
No worries, glad I could help. I have been trying to chase down the Reserve Collection cards for a while and so many collector had the Hobby Reserves listed as Reserve Collections that I had to create the scans and breakdown. Thankfully my Hobby Reserve and Premium Stock sets are completed.

Scott
50,000+ Red Sox cards and counting.

(09-08-2017, 02:53 PM)reagle beagle 37 Wrote: just why? this is the stuff that haunts us today.
I totally agree. Tried for years to put the sets together and after much frustration I lumped them all together and stuck them in a closet. Years later I dumped them on eBay.
Currently collecting Mike Trout, Bo Jackson and Al Kaline.

Sets for sale or trade:

1998 Leaf Rookies & Stars-- 99.7% complete.
1999 Finest-- Complete.
2000 Bowman Chrome-- Complete.
2001 Studio---97% complete.

Hey Zeprock,

I have a similar problem, not with the 97 score parallels, but with some Pacific parallels. I have been trying to get someone from Beckett to add a parallel set to the database, but have had no luck. Got any tips or advice? The set I need them to add is the 2000 Pacific Paramount Chicago Sportsfest. They look identical to the base version only with a raised embossed stamping on the card. I saw the ones from 1999 in the database, but none from 2000.

[Image: 971927d6500d72m3.jpg]