`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beckett Magazine "The Hot List"

Beckett Magazine "The Hot List"
Ever since I started back into the hobby, I've always looked at "The Hot List" in wonder and amazement seeing all the cards that I missed out on, couldn't afford, or will never have.
After a little while, the Mike Trout US175 hit the list, and has been there for some time (I'd guess the longest, from what I recall). But, thanks to Aaron Judge and Cody Bellinger for the first time since 2011, I have 7 of the 20 listed and 5 of those are in the top 10. WooHoo!! Doesn't mean that I'll be selling them off anytime soon, but just having them in my collection, and getting them all from personal box breaks and not aftermarket purchasing gives me a satisfying sense of accomplishment. I collect, to collect, but its still a little gratifying to know there's something I have that others value, too. I guess.
[Image: 3307bfb.jpg]
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

RE: Beckett Magazine "The Hot List"
I guess tinypic doesn't work either
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Loved the hot and cold lists
The most I have had on the top 20 was 11
and I think I had all 20 cold list at one time (back in '95 uh oh I think I am starting to show my age)

[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

My personal best at one point was 13 of 20, but I believe that was before the "Bowman Chrome auto era" explosion.

(08-07-2017, 06:47 AM)waynetalger Wrote: Loved the hot and cold lists
The most I have had on the top 20 was 11
and I think I had all 20 cold list at one time (back in '95 uh oh I think I am starting to show my age)
Luckily, they did away with the cold list. That's just harsh and depressing Smile
11/20 is pretty great!
(08-07-2017, 03:51 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: My personal best at one point was 13 of 20, but I believe that was before the "Bowman Chrome auto era" explosion.
13/20?!?! Incredible! Yeah, for a while, the list was totally populated by Bowman Chrome autos ... and I had zero of 20 back then.

I enjoyed the cold list. It was a nice change to see cards that were unpopular for some wierd reason.
Barry Larkin - 1781 different
Joey Votto jersey numbered cards - 283

(08-08-2017, 10:02 PM)bengalsandreds Wrote: I enjoyed the cold list. It was a nice change to see cards that were unpopular for some wierd reason.
Perhaps a relief that you didn't have a PC of those players? ... or if you did, you could probably pick up your PC guys for less money?

Back in the 90s before cards got super expensive, I am sure I had a large amount of the ones on the hot list in a given month. Once the majority of the cards on the list were young players whose cards were $100s to $1000s a piece I definitely didn't have that many.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

It would be really nice if they would put each months hot list on this website.

(08-09-2017, 07:33 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Perhaps a relief that you didn't have a PC of those players? ... or if you did, you could probably pick up your PC guys for less money?
A little of both. What collector doesn't like paying less for PC players? If no one else wants cards of players I collect, chalk that up as a win. I also saw the nostalgia of it. I would see the list and say to myself, "remember when (insert, let's say, 1988 Donruss Greg Jefferies) was the hottest card on the planet? I forgot about that one." And if I didn't have it back in the day, I could certainly pick one up now.
Barry Larkin - 1781 different
Joey Votto jersey numbered cards - 283