`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shohei Otani?

Shohei Otani?
Over in the baseball cards subreddit they are talking about this Otani Craze coming out of Bowman Mega Box's. Whats the deal? I feel like I missed something.
Desert racing baseball card collector? Yeah, that's not weird...

RE: Shohei Otani?
I haven't found any of those mega boxes at any local Target stores. And the Otani cards are going for insane prices on ebay.

Otani is a Japanese player that is being called the Japanese Babe Ruth, because he is an elite hitter and pitcher (as Babe was early in his career). His card in the Bowman Mega box is his first US card, and even though it's part of the WBC subset it's still his only available US card, thus it's extremely popular. The fact that the card is only available in the Mega boxes at Target is driving a lot of the resale value. Keep in mind the exclusive boxes that Target gets aren't all dropped at the same time, they are distributed a handful at a time and restocked at the next stocking cycle. Which means just because you don't see any boxes at your local Target today doesn't mean some won't show up tomorrow.
The huge International interest in the Otani card has led many people to buy out the entire stock when they do see any boxes. So your odds of finding any boxes on the shelf is not great. Which means for most people (especially those in Japan who want the card) the only way to get the card is eBay. Thus driving the price up.
Honestly I expect as more and more of the product is stocked, sold out, and then opened and put up for sale on eBay the price for the base card will settle out and possibly drop a bit. I do expect that most of the parallels will maintain values, due to being serial numbered to begin with.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

ahh, thank you sir! look at the Target by work and by my house and none, even though i remember them being there... guess i missed the rush. Stupid retail only [see my last post about being fooled once or whatever...] well, heres to the next flash in the pan! anyone else hear about Gleyber Torres and TJ surgery....
Desert racing baseball card collector? Yeah, that's not weird...