`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 Topps Creative

2017 Topps Creative
What if Topps (or Panini, or Leaf) put together a product where you could hop online and create your own card? Here is the twist:

1) Select a Player
2) Select a Picture from their photo bank. That way you can't upload a huge picture of Jeter's nose or something like that.
3) Select if you want an autograph or not
4) Select if you want a relic, and if so, which kind (jersey, pinstripe, glove, pants, hat, etc.)
5) If relic, do you want a premium piece? (Add $xxx for this)

Whammo...your own personalized card. For me, the pros would be that it is a real card produced by a real company and that you had a hand in creating it.

The cons would be that there wouldn't really be a way to checklist this at all, unless they do it at the end of the year.

This could be an actual service on a website, or even used as a redemption. Imagine this: Congratulations! You have won an auto patch redemption card of ... whomever you like! Go to www.Domain.com and get to creating."

What are your thoughts?
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME! Smile
www.TanManBaseballFan.com
Do you have rare Jose Canseco cards? Let me know!
Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict

RE: 2017 Topps Creative
Sure. It should also give you the option of printing at home - or saving the file to your device.

Order the sticker auto and/or relic to be delivered to your home for insertion into your card.
Bowman: home of the pre-rookie card.

In The Game did that for a couple of releases with hockey cards about 6-8 years ago. It was a redemption card that once you submitted you got to go through the creation phase and get a 1/1 you designed.
I focus my PC on Ken Griffey Jr but I also collect Jay Buhner, Steve Largent and Ryan Bader. Secondary collection: Seattle teams & Univ. of Arizona

Fleer basketball also did this back in the day, I did a custom Vince Carter card.

But the auto/jersey add-on is a great idea!

Cool and innovative idea, however;

That might kill the hobby... part of the chase is that there is a "chase." If you get to create your own, there is no more super collector, your Canseco collection no longer matters because I can print a 1/1 canseco and you no longer hold the record (or whatever). It needs to be a fair market. The answer is fair market capitalism, where Topps no longer holds all the cards, no pun intended. Right now we lack the [i]fair[i] part. Topps has the monopoly and they mask it by brands & sets. How many 1/1s can you have of players before they don't matter? "I have a 1/1 Trout from 2018 Topps WhoCares," big deal in 2018 they made 500 1/1's, see where I'm going. With 3D printing, then who cares about cards? I'll go buy an authentic jersey (or other GU), cut it up, then buy a bunch of rando autos, and make my own base, sp, and 1/1 with cut up stuff. The monopoly needs to end or it will result in this.

[rant over]
Desert racing baseball card collector? Yeah, that's not weird...

(05-05-2017, 03:16 AM)flamethrower Wrote: Cool and innovative idea, however;

That might kill the hobby... part of the chase is that there is a "chase." If you get to create your own, there is no more super collector, your Canseco collection no longer matters because I can print a 1/1 canseco and you no longer hold the record (or whatever). It needs to be a fair market. The answer is fair market capitalism, where Topps no longer holds all the cards, no pun intended. Right now we lack the [i]fair[i] part. Topps has the monopoly and they mask it by brands & sets. How many 1/1s can you have of players before they don't matter? "I have a 1/1 Trout from 2018 Topps WhoCares," big deal in 2018 they made 500 1/1's, see where I'm going. With 3D printing, then who cares about cards? I'll go buy an authentic jersey (or other GU), cut it up, then buy a bunch of rando autos, and make my own base, sp, and 1/1 with cut up stuff. The monopoly needs to end or it will result in this.

[rant over]
+1 well stated!! Too many 1/1's don't make 1/1 cards all that special. Topps has that one high end (Dynasty?) where every card is 1/1 or /10 but each player has 10 different versions .... rediculous IMO. I have a 1/1 Babe Ruth from some older set, but they made 250 different 1/1 cards ... so is it really a 1/1? Sure. Does it have any real amazing value? Nope. Does that matter? Depends on the collector. Personally, I don't sell cards, so value isn't as important, but I still want it to have more value than it does.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.