Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2002 (ish) Florida Marlins Autograph ID Help

2002 (ish) Florida Marlins Autograph ID Help
Hi Everyone,

After a couple hours of eye-crossing examination, I am finally asking for help with identifying three autographs on this baseball i bought on eBay. The seller described it as a 2002 Florida Marlins signed ball. While the players I identified are all on that team, the ones who are not on the ball do not match up with the autographs in question (too easy haha). Any help would be appreciated.

Picture Side 1: Autograph in question is above Charles Johnson and below Vic Darensbourg. Not Coach Bill Robinson who is on the other side.

Picture Side 2: Autograph in question is second from the top. Below Josh Beckett and above Mike Redmond. Chuck Smith (was on the team in 2001)?

Picture Side 3: Autograph in question is above the MLB logo.

Thanks again everyone!

RE: 2002 (ish) Florida Marlins Autograph ID Help
(04-12-2017, 04:37 PM)jrodcm34 Wrote: Hi Everyone,

After a couple hours of eye-crossing examination, I am finally asking for help with identifying three autographs on this baseball i bought on eBay. The seller described it as a 2002 Florida Marlins signed ball. While the players I identified are all on that team, the ones who are not on the ball do not match up with the autographs in question (too easy haha). Any help would be appreciated.

Picture Side 1: Autograph in question is above Charles Johnson and below Vic Darensbourg. Not Coach Bill Robinson who is on the other side. UPDATE: This is Brad Arnsberg

Picture Side 2: Autograph in question is second from the top. Below Josh Beckett and above Mike Redmond. Chuck Smith (was on the team in 2001)?

Picture Side 3: Autograph in question is above the MLB logo.

Thanks again everyone!

Thanks for the challenge, I enjoy the search. I believe you are correct with Chuck Smith, he wasn't released until March 25, so if the ball was signed towards the end of spring training, which would have had the roster close to complete, then it makes perfect sense. Also, it really looks spot on to his signature. I will continue to investigate picture 3

(04-12-2017, 08:33 PM)ellis2211 Wrote: Thanks for the challenge, I enjoy the search. I believe you are correct with Chuck Smith, he wasn't released until March 25, so if the ball was signed towards the end of spring training, which would have had the roster close to complete, then it makes perfect sense. Also, it really looks spot on to his signature. I will continue to investigate picture 3
Thank you so much. I never thought to check their spring training roster.

Picture #3: i was certain it was Carl Pavano ... he was on the team in 2002, so perhaps I was right ... until I checked into it some more ... seem that Pavano has some kinda joining of the C & P in his autograph ... unless he has 2 versions (I know I do ... messy-quick vs slow-clean) sorry.
I even checked Cliff Floyd, but I don't think so either. I'll keep looking
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

could it be Charlie Greene? He was a catcher for the Marlins AAA Calgary Cannons in 2002. It's possible that he stayed longer in Spring Training due to his position, maybe he and Redmond were battling it out for the backup job. I have seen a couple Greene signatures that are a bit different, but there are not a lot of examples.

(04-13-2017, 09:07 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Picture #3: i was certain it was Carl Pavano ... he was on the team in 2002, so perhaps I was right ... until I checked into it some more ... seem that Pavano has some kinda joining of the C & P in his autograph ... unless he has 2 versions (I know I do ... messy-quick vs slow-clean) sorry.
I even checked Cliff Floyd, but I don't think so either. I'll keep looking
I originally was thinking Pavano as well but looking at others, I too don't think it is him. Cliff Floyd, I have on another ball and I ruled him out.

Thank you for looking in to it, I appreciate the knowledge on the board. I generally do not post but enjoy reading the board.
(04-13-2017, 11:43 PM)ellis2211 Wrote: could it be Charlie Greene? He was a catcher for the Marlins AAA Calgary Cannons in 2002. It's possible that he stayed longer in Spring Training due to his position, maybe he and Redmond were battling it out for the backup job. I have seen a couple Greene signatures that are a bit different, but there are not a lot of examples.
I am leaning towards Charlie Greene based on what appears to be a G as the last name being similar to the few examples I found.

Based on Chuck Smith being on the ball, it is safe to assume that this ball was signed during spring training in 2002 (seems to be towards the end) and it is common practice to carry an additional catch that last week (or they could have been battling for that last spot).

Thank you for your help with this!