Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BCA Service - ???

BCA Service - ???
Huh
Sent in a 1959 Fleer Three Stooges BVG 9 for appraisal. It is the highest graded by Beckett. The SMR for a PSA 9 is $13,500.
First issue: it was due 12/29/2016 and received it today 1/3/2017. No apologies.
Second issue: appraisal came back at $1200! A BVG 7 is listed as worth $300 and a BVG 8 at $1000. ???
Third thought: what are people's thoughts on crossing this card over to PSA to see if they would grade it minimally a PSA 9? Pros? Cons?
Fourth: this service has no credibility with me after this.

RE: BCA Service - ???
Update: the appraisal fees were refunded. Here is the tale of the tape the Appraisers would have me and the collectors out there believe on this same card:
PSA 7 worth $250: BVG 7 worth $300 (Beckett worth 20% more than PSA)
PSA 8 worth $800: BVG 8 worth $1000 (Beckett worth 25% more than PSA)
PSA 9 worth $13,500: BVG 9 worth $1200 (Beckett worth more than 90% less than PSA)
Comments? Thoughts?

Its only worth what someone will pay for it with hard cash. Everything else is hot air!!

Cash is King!!!

I've never had anything appraised, nor felt the need, so please take my input with a grain of heavily diluted salt...

1) The missed delivery day is not really surprising around this time of the year. deliveries get delayed, holidays mess up schedules. Two days is really not that big of an issue, to be honest.

2) Appraisals are simply opinions on value. Just like card grades can change based on who looks at them, appraisals are going to be based on that person's experience, knowledge, and opinion. That sounds like an awful lot of money for that card, so I'd say "yeah" to that amount.

3) Are you only considering crossing it over so you can get it reappraised and hope that amount will be more? If so, why not? Just chase that money you already spent on something you find worthless with even more money. If not, why would you cross it over?

4) As ferraripower2005 said, it's only worth what someone will pay for it. If you don't find value in this service, don't use it. You sent the card to them because they are "experts" at this. The fact that you disagree with them says you either don't trust them or you think you know more. In either case, the issue seems to be more with you than with the service.

Cheers,

(01-05-2017, 04:54 PM)KPRROK Wrote: I've never had anything appraised, nor felt the need, so please take my input with a grain of heavily diluted salt...

1) The missed delivery day is not really surprising around this time of the year. deliveries get delayed, holidays mess up schedules. Two days is really not that big of an issue, to be honest.

2) Appraisals are simply opinions on value. Just like card grades can change based on who looks at them, appraisals are going to be based on that person's experience, knowledge, and opinion. That sounds like an awful lot of money for that card, so I'd say "yeah" to that amount.

3) Are you only considering crossing it over so you can get it reappraised and hope that amount will be more? If so, why not? Just chase that money you already spent on something you find worthless with even more money. If not, why would you cross it over?

4) As ferraripower2005 said, it's only worth what someone will pay for it. If you don't find value in this service, don't use it. You sent the card to them because they are "experts" at this. The fact that you disagree with them says you either don't trust them or you think you know more. In either case, the issue seems to be more with you than with the service.

Cheers,
Appreciate you thoughts. My initial thought, based on Beckett vs. PSA values on the card (Beckett's were higher than PSAs for similar grades), was that because Beckett didn't have a value on the card despite buying the pricing is that I should get it appraised for estate planning/insurance purposes. The cost was not prohibitive. My second thought was scarcity - only one BVG 9 and 8 PSA 9s for same card. Knowing that PSA generally fetches more for high end cards I hoped for a closer valuation to the PSA 9 ($13,500) than the BVG 8 ($1000). Another way, with a $700 difference in Beckett guide value between the 7 and 8 I expected a similar or better difference between 8 and 9. It came back only $200 over BVG 8.
As for the crossover, if the card came back a PSA 9 why wouldn't I do it? The costs aren't prohibitive for that either. There are far more serious PSA collectors of this set than at Beckett. If the same card is 10X more valuable to a PSA collector than a BVG collector wouldn't it be prudent to cross it over? If someone would give you a dollar all day for a card worth only a dime to you wouldn't you do it?
I have used their service before and it seemed pretty fair with all market, auction data and eBay sales I could get, including the SMR. I wanted the hard appraisal for financial planning reasons. This particular appraisal seemed very out of whack with everything else BCA had done with my cards in the past and my research, hence the questioning of it.