`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seven Minutes of Heaven in the Glove is Still a 'Hel'enius of a Time!

Seven Minutes of Heaven in the Glove is Still a 'Hel'enius of a Time!
I'm back again with my newest addition to the museum. For those who don't know, the goal of my museum project is to gather one game worn piece of every goaltender to ever play in the NHL, from then to now. The hunt is not an overly difficult one, only fitting within a budget is. I usually have the luxury of waiting on the superstar goaltenders because their stuff pops up all of the time. The single game guys are a tougher one as my number one search is for NHL used stuff of theirs. If I miss out on something of theirs, it's pretty much gone for good. So here we are with the newest addition, goaltender #108, and piece #139 in the museum.

Born on March 1, 1988 in Palkane, Finland, Riku Helenius was drafted 15th overall by Tampa Bay in 2006 after playing for Finland's U-20 team, as well as Ilves Tampere. In 2007-08, he transitioned over to North America and played with the Seattle Thunderbirds of the WHL, recording very convincing numbers in 41 games played. Though he played poorly in the World Juniors that season, he transitioned to the pros in 2008-09. Helenius spent the majority of the season bouncing around the various minor leagues of the NHL including stints with three different ECHL teams, and the Norfolk Admirals of the AHL. Entering 2008-09, Tampa Bay was a goaltending nightmare. Mike Smith, Karri Ramo, Mike McKenna, and Olaf Kolzig all played between the pipes for decent stints throughout the season. But, like all of the stories in this collection, the moment happened for Riku Helenius. On Janaury 30, 2009, after Mike Smith surrendered six goals on thirty shots, Helenius was put between the pipes for the final seven minutes of the game. Though the team lost 6-1 that day, Helenius stopped both shots that he faced. The next season, he appeared in 12 games with Norfolk, got one additional call-up to the team without getting to play, and then he left to go to Europe. He remained in Europe until 2012-13 when he returned to North America with the Syracuse Crunch. He put up solid numbers and crashed back down in 2013-14 when he couldn't cut it neither in the AHL or ECHL. He left to play with Jokerit in the KHL in 2014-15 and is still there to this day.

In his NHL career, he appeared in one game for seven minutes, recording an 0-0-0 record with a 0.00 GAA and a 1.000% save average. He has no NHL playoff experience.

What you are looking at right now is a 2008-09 Tampa Bay Lightning / Norfolk Admirals practice worn glove used by Riku Helenius the year he made the NHL. It has decent wear, and is a cool piece of a guy who had one of the smaller tastes of the big league.

Acquired from: Private collector on eBay

Dates of game use: Unknown as it is marked as practice.

Photomatched: No, referenced.

[Image: helenius1_zpsxhkplmec.jpg]

[Image: helenius2_zpskb9xpisw.jpg]

[Image: helenius3_zpss7rutdz5.jpg]

[Image: helenius4_zps5hp4mw0f.jpg]