`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Undergraded surface grade MTG card?

Undergraded surface grade MTG card?
I had PSA grade an Unlimited Edition MTG card and it came back a 6, which I thought was low, so submitted it to Beckett, and it came back also a 6.

Centering 9.5, corners 9, edges 8.5.

SURFACE 5.

I don't see any imperfections on the front of the card at all, and the only thing on the card on the back are three horizontal line indentations running the length of the card that you have to squint and hold at an angle to see and don't even perforate the gloss.

I think that an overall grade of 6 will be worth significantly less than 7 or 8. Is there a way I can get a specific explanation for why they gave this a Surface 5? I feel like it's been severely undergraded.

RE: Undergraded surface grade MTG card?
Post a scan front and back and others may be able to help. Keep in mind they will look for printing imperfections, not just damage.

The fact 2 top grading companies both gave it a 6 means there is probably more damage than can be seen with a naked eye.

Did you crack it out before sending it to BGS?
Looking To Buy BGS Graded 9.5/10 Chipper Jones...Contact Me If Selling

Magic cards are such a tough grade b/c most people in the 90s played them into the ground without a care in the world for "grading." Heck if I still had my power 9 to grade they probably would have been BGS 3.
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

I'm not sure what I did with the pre-graded images. I did not crack it before sending to BGS--I'm not confident in my ability to crack out an encased card.

I uploaded a couple of cursory images. A scan yields a blurry result, not sure whether the trained eye can pick up imperfections here.

There are a couple of horizontal crease lines that didn't show up in the photo. One runs the length of the card right through "The Gathering" lettering. The second one you can see on the right below the Oval midpoint, and it also runs across the card's length. I understand that these kinds of things lower the rating, but the fact that they don't even show up in an unaltered photo illustrates that they aren't obvious at a glance.

https://postimg.org/image/qodqdhmb9/
https://postimg.org/image/6oedhtlar/

Also if there's damage but it can't be seen by the naked eye how bad can the damage be really? To me a surface 5 sounds like it was dragged through the mud