`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1997 Upper Deck Baseball Variation?

1997 Upper Deck Baseball Variation?
Going through some older cards this morning and came across these oddballs. The 97 Upper Deck Baseball set has gold borders on the bottom of the cards. These are colored black, blue, orange, etc. I couldn't find anything online about them. Anyone else seen/have these? Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RE: 1997 Upper Deck Baseball Variation?
It seems to me, and if I'm remembering correctly, the different colors had no significance. Really, I think it was just a design thing, to vary the colors. I could be wrong but I think just the design.

(10-14-2016, 07:53 AM)slun8028 Wrote: Going through some older cards this morning and came across these oddballs. The 97 Upper Deck Baseball set has gold borders on the bottom of the cards. These are colored black, blue, orange, etc. I couldn't find anything online about them. Anyone else seen/have these? Thanks!
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

(10-14-2016, 11:02 AM)bamyanks Wrote: It seems to me, and if I'm remembering correctly, the different colors had no significance. Really, I think it was just a design thing, to vary the colors. I could be wrong but I think just the design.
I thought it might have been retail vs hobby, but I can't find any listings, pictures, examples, or anything showing that set with colored borders. They're all gold.

It's actually pretty simple. The color corresponds to one of the dominant colors for the team that the player is on. Orange for Mets, teal blue for Mariners, dark blue for Twins and Padres, etc.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(10-14-2016, 08:50 PM)djohn Wrote: It's actually pretty simple. The color corresponds to one of the dominant colors for the team that the player is on. Orange for Mets, teal blue for Mariners, dark blue for Twins and Padres, etc.
Check out some pictures of 1997 UD cards. You will see what he is talking about. That bottom section/border of the card is always a gold foil type thing. It might be that the gold border was laid on top of the colored section and that is just what the cards look like underneath the gold foil type material, but I don't know. I was thinking like team sets but I can't find anything online about that, either.

(10-14-2016, 08:50 PM)djohn Wrote: It's actually pretty simple. The color corresponds to one of the dominant colors for the team that the player is on. Orange for Mets, teal blue for Mariners, dark blue for Twins and Padres, etc.
I think you're missing what I mean. Every single card I see online has gold borders - not the blue, orange, teal, etc. I have 1200 singles from boxes I bought in 1997 - they are all gold. I don't remember where these six cards in particular came from, but they don't have the gold foil.

Ok, now I see what you're talking about. Here is a picture of the regular Rey Ordonez card, it also has a Major League Debut emblem on it.
[Image: Rey-Ordonez.jpg?id=927800e4-cfdc-4a61-a0...e=original]

My first thought was that they could be from team sets, since Upper Deck definitely did that back in 1997. However after checking around, I could only find Collector's Choice team sets from Upper Deck in 1997.
My second thought is that they are simply missing the gold foil, which actually makes a lot more sense since the Rey Ordonez is missing the Debut emblem which is in that same gold foil. The UD logo and team logo were done in a silvery foil, so it would definitely be possible for the cards to have missed the gold foil step during manufacturing.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Thanks for the input - that makes sense. I definitely realize I don't have a handful of 90 Topps NNOF Thomas Rookies, but kind of cool nonetheless.

How about a picture of the backs that may help.