`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
best BGS slab scanner

best BGS slab scanner
Which scanner does everyone recommend for BGS slabs? I have searched and the canon 9000F was mentioned back in 2012. Anything better that is in the $100-$200 range?

Thanks
Looking To Buy BGS Graded 9.5/10 Chipper Jones...Contact Me If Selling

RE: best BGS slab scanner
A few members on the Collectors Universe Forum give a lot of praise to the Epson V series (v550, v600 etc..) scanners.
I wouldn't know though, I use a crappy HP photosmart scanner/printer/copier which I would NOT recommend if you're looking for hi def scans.

good luck.

(10-12-2016, 04:46 PM)altz11 Wrote: A few members on the Collectors Universe Forum give a lot of praise to the Epson V series (v550, v600 etc..) scanners.
I wouldn't know though, I use a crappy HP photosmart scanner/printer/copier which I would NOT recommend if you're looking for hi def scans.

good luck.
I agree, I don't think an all-in-one works the best either. However, what you do need to watch out for is the kind of light source used in the scanner you're thinking to buy. I have a HP Scanjet G4010 that works great. Whatever kind of light source used in it I believe to be the correct one. The newer scanners have a different type of light, and they tend to blur the image through the slab. I have my manual somewhere. I'll try to find it in the next day or 2, and see if it has the type of light source used.
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

I've been happy with my Epson Perfection v30. Look for a scanner that uses a CCD instead of the more common CIS.

CCD - Charged Coupled Device
CIS - Contact Imaging Sensor

http://www.tavco.net/wide-format-plotter...chnologies

http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1448750.html

CCD does a better job with items that aren't directly placed on the glass, such as a graded card since it's suspended in the holder. If I can find it again I'll dig up my comparison shot of a CIS vs CCD for slabs.

I use an Epson perfection V300 Photo scanner- cost me $99 on sale. Seems to do well with slabs. I've heard some of the Canoscan products do well also

THICK SLAB

[Image: 04-Ult-Dual-Patch-LS-frt.jpg]

THIN SLAB

[Image: Namth-frt.jpg]

Thanks for the help everybody. I ordered the Epson Perfection V300 from Amazon. I have wanted to get something for over a year now but have always put it on hold. I think Registries that have pics attached are more pleasing to look at so this will be helpful.

I have some new orders back from BGS to share too once I get the hang of using the scanner. I'm sure there will be some trial and error with sizing for the forums.

Add me to the fan of the Epson Perfection camp.
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

(10-18-2016, 01:43 PM)jeffv96masters Wrote: I use an Epson perfection V300 Photo scanner- cost me $99 on sale. Seems to do well with slabs. I've heard some of the Canoscan products do well also

THICK SLAB

[Image: 04-Ult-Dual-Patch-LS-frt.jpg]

THIN SLAB

[Image: Namth-frt.jpg]

Hey Jeff,
How do you get your scans so big?
Mine always turn out like this....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Scan at a higher dpi. I usually use 150 for normal "web" type stuff, 300 for high quality, and 600 if I intend on doing any sort of photoshop/digital editing to it.

Got the scanner today and have been trying to figure out what I am doing. Not a computer person so lots of trial and error. I'm checking to see how this looks on the forum. Open to any suggestions if it doesn't look right. Looks like I need to figure out how to scale the image down some.

[Image: img007_zpsxeloyony.jpg]
[Image: beaa135d-26a9-4551-a760-b8800f6ada2e_zpsxfv6k2bm.jpg]

[Image: 1a4a35b4-eeae-468d-9025-beb797541ac9_zpscadbavml.jpg]

[Image: img210_zps2iy0vbji.jpg]

[Image: img208_zpsf57hzomf.jpg]

[Image: img292_zps2gr4h3zi.jpg]