`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Who can help me with some trading card lingo ?

Who can help me with some trading card lingo ?
So we all know about RC Logo's, Bowman 1st year prospects etc...

But how would you guys look at the following ?

Topps cards that say 1st Year but no RC logo

and

Bowman 1st Card stamp but has no RC Logo and is not a Prospect Card #'d BP or BCP just standard numbering from the base set,

Are these still considered Rc cards even though they lack the RC shield logo ?

RE: Who can help me with some trading card lingo ?
What card is it exactly?

If it is Bowman Draft then it has the standard numbering(no prefix).

Everyone looks at the rookie/prospect thing differently. Personally I don't consider it a rookie card until they make their debut in the majors. I know many players have prospect cards after they make their debut but even though final checklist come out just days before the release the basic checklist is thought out well before release.

It really just depends on the card.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I have several cards over several years with this designation. I decided to slim down my collection to just RC's and Prospects. Way to many worthless vet cards taking up room but I am not sure how to designate those cards. I will probably just play it safe and keep them in a seperate space. I know anything after 2006 other than Bowman Draft should have the RC logo for a true RC or the BP/BCP numbering for prospects.

Generally there are only two classifications to consider:

Pre-Rookie Cards - PRC
Rookie Cards - RC

... but on rare occasion there's a third:
Rookie Year Cards - RY

What's nice about the PRC label is that it not only encompasses cards with MLB uniforms and logos, but also cards without MLB uniforms and logos - so Bowman and Pro Debut and Heritage Minor League prospects are all included together, as they all should be.

RY is necessary on rare occasion because of some MLB/MLBPA rule that doesn't "allow" a RC logo because the player started too late in the season.

What's good about this classification system is that it doesn't rely on a silly, artificial logo - it only relies knowing when the player debuted in the majors. This is consistent with how cards have always traditionally been - - - just look at the stats on the back of the card to tell where the player is in his career!
Bowman: home of the pre-rookie card.

(10-02-2016, 10:59 AM)chevy man 22 Wrote: I have several cards over several years with this designation. I decided to slim down my collection to just RC's and Prospects. Way to many worthless vet cards taking up room but I am not sure how to designate those cards. I will probably just play it safe and keep them in a seperate space. I know anything after 2006 other than Bowman Draft should have the RC logo for a true RC or the BP/BCP numbering for prospects.
Anything before 2006 would say first topps card like in the 2005 base topps set.

As far as the BP/BCP numbering that has not always been true even within the same year.

Try to convince Ebay to eliminate there seller's that put Rookie Card In the Title. They Policed the Coin Board on Counterfeits.

I always understood "first year card" to mean it was their first professional card (usually for a minor league team) whereas a "rookie card" was from when they were considered a true rookie by MLB.

but that doesn't always shake out...for example
Piazza played 21 games in 1992 and two companies produced what are considered "rookie cards"
however the following year was his first full season and he was considered a "rookie" thereby eligible to be ROY etc, but none of his cards produced in 1993 are considered rookie cards.
Mike Piazza supercollector: 4,267 different Beckett items
Also collecting John Franco, Eric Karros, Al Leiter, Brandon Nimmo, Todd Pratt, Robin Ventura, Turk Wendell, and Todd Zeile

(10-14-2016, 08:54 PM)tate31nym Wrote: I always understood "first year card" to mean it was their first professional card (usually for a minor league team) whereas a "rookie card" was from when they were considered a true rookie by MLB.

but that doesn't always shake out...for example
Piazza played 21 games in 1992 and two companies produced what are considered "rookie cards"
however the following year was his first full season and he was considered a "rookie" thereby eligible to be ROY etc, but none of his cards produced in 1993 are considered rookie cards.
Yeah his '92s are technically rookie year cards (RY).

Some people like to think the "rule changes" only apply to 2006 and afterwards, but it doesn't make sense to do that - there's no reason not to apply rules retroactively, especially when they make sense.

Bowman: home of the pre-rookie card.