Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grading Question-Team Set Project

Grading Question-Team Set Project
Hey guys,

I figured there would be some on these boards who are much more experienced with submitting cards for grading and the best way to go about it. I've been buying more and more graded stuff lately and trying to build up my Dodgers set registry along with some key rookie cards. I want to put together as many mint (9 or better) Topps Dodgers cards as I can starting with 1980. I prefer PSA but this question would apply to any grading service. Like many of us I have thousands of clean, freshly pulled commons as well as complete sets that are sitting in boxes. I've really enjoyed sorting through them and pulling out the cards that I think might grade around a 9 or higher since they would otherwise be worthless to the average collector. I frequently check ebay and other sites all throughout the week for graded singles but realize that I'm at the mercy of someone else posting a mint condition 1980 Topps Joe Blow for sale which could take 5 years for me to fill out my set. (Not exactly cards that are high on anyone's radar). I wanted to take things into my own hands and build some sets on my own. I'm thinking of sending in a few dozen 80's-90's cards to start with but really only want 9's or better in my collection. I'm screening them the best that I can but am I being way too unrealistic? I know the front and back of the card are taken into consideration but is there more to a mint grading than meets the eye? Am I safe to assume that a card with 4 sharp corners decent centering and a clean surface will pass?

If any of you have done multiple self submissions what would be the most cost effective way to go about it? Am I better off just being patient and only spending the money on a guaranteed thing? The last thing I need to do is burn up my collecting budget on a bunch of psa 7 junk wax cards.

I'm really curious if any of you have attempted this sort of thing.

Thanks for reading and any advice is welcome!
Topps Master Set Builder, Dodgers and Mike Piazza Collector as well.

RE: Grading Question-Team Set Project
I don't really have advice, other than be patient. I'm going to be attempting something similar soon as I am going to start grading my entire collection of every Topps base (S1, S2, Traded/Update) Royals card ever. I've almost got all of the cards in raw condition (need '70 and '71 cards if anyone wants to help). I plan to get every card graded eventually, and will probably do one year every few months. It'll take many years, but it'll be awesome when it's complete to have EVERY Royals card encapsulated and in a beautiful collection.

That's awesome! Sounds like we are heading down the same road. Do you have any particular grade you are aiming for or are you just looking to preserve what you have? You should post some updates as the grades come in. Thanks for the response.
Topps Master Set Builder, Dodgers and Mike Piazza Collector as well.

I'm not going for any particular grade. I know some of the older stuff is going to grade low, but as long as they're all graded, by the same company, I'm good. I'll definitely share as I get going, and I hope you do the same.